Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Flexible working issue

(3 Posts)
slalomsuki Tue 28-Jun-16 07:27:54

Approximately 8years ago I applied for and had approved a flexible working request. It wasn't a major request but simply asked to work a Saturday rather than a regular weekday evening ie every week with everything else the same ie 37.5 hours per week. Since then this has been implemented although the requirement to work Saturdays has reduced and it's only 6 times a year and I do an occasional ie 6 times per year weekday evening to cover for a colleague and this is planned in advance by 4 plus months.

Yesterday I was informed that my flexible working agreement was being rejected now and that if I wanted to not work a regular evening I would have to apply again. HR have said its down to a change in the law and that if I apply I may not get approval.

I am the primary carer to my children with my husband working away during the week and this has worked well for all colleagues as not many of them wish to work on a Saturday if required.

Any thoughts on how to approach this and whether it's legal to do this. Also I can't find what law change this could be.

MustStopAndThinkBeforePosting Tue 28-Jun-16 07:53:38

Did you get anything in writing 8 years ago?
I'm not an HR expert so I don't know if they can do this but it doesn't seem right.

flowery Tue 28-Jun-16 09:18:17

There has been no change in the law allowing an employer to change your terms and conditions like this. The fact that your terms and conditions initially came about via a flexible working request is completely irrelevant. Those are your terms and conditions and they are no less permanent than anyone else's.

I would suggest writing back saying that having taken advice, you understand that your consent is required in order to change your terms and conditions. You are not prepared to agree to their proposed change so will be remaining on your existing terms and conditions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now