Talk

Advanced search

New work colleague continually making mistakes and we don't get on!

(13 Posts)
PermanentlyDieting Sun 26-Jun-16 21:48:38

Hi - I posted on the 'bad behaviour in the office' thread, but could do with some more specific advice.
I work in a very small, open plan office. Me and four other people ( two part-time, 2 full-time). A new staff member joined about 6 months ago. They have already failed two probationary reviews and was supposed to be sacked on the last one because of multiple, repeated mistakes, but the boss "couldn't do it" .
Ok - that's the background - now aside from sheer incompetence at their job - this person talks to themselves all day (motivational speeches/ chastising themselves when they make a mistake / documenting their work processes), sings, dances in their chair and has now taken to picking their nose, inspecting it and then eating it (they sit in my direct line of sight).
Seriously though, I am at my wits end - I used to love my job, but I can barely get to work in the morning. I have spoken to my boss (the only boss) and he doesn't seem to notice (probably because he doesn't have to look at him and is quite deaf). He said I could 'screen myself off' but I feel that's making it out to be my problem and I don't feel that's fair. I was in such a state on Friday that I emailed the boss to let him know I was looking for a new job because of the situation in the office. I made it clear that it was not my official notice and that I would notify him properly in due course. I did this because I only need to give a months notice, but my job is quite complex and they are crazy to only have me on one months notice. (I'm the only person who can do payroll, pay suppliers, VAT Returns, CIS returns and I control all the bank accounts, ledgers etc.)
I regret sending the email. It was polite and truthful, but I am not looking forward to returning to the office tomorrow. The only positive thing I can get from this is that I no longer feel sick about going to work because of the behaviour of my annoying work colleague. Have I committed career suicide ?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sun 26-Jun-16 22:57:27

Potentially. Your boss sounds awful though, I'd be flagging it up higher up the chain.

Sunshineonacloudyday Mon 27-Jun-16 12:39:22

You want you're colleague sacked in these uncertain times. People with MH issues have rights to work as well. It amazes me that you are thinking of you're self.

LIZS Mon 27-Jun-16 12:44:46

How do you know the outcome of the reviews? Could there be extenuating circumstances such as MH or SN which require adjustments and sensitive handling. That isn't to say that continual mistakes are acceptable but there may be other routes such as retraining or mentoring to be followed through. You don't sound terribly tolerant and your email in a fit of pique will not reflect well on you. Have you asked to discuss the situation with the manager or someone more senior.

PermanentlyDieting Mon 27-Jun-16 15:08:52

Troll - I'm afraid there is no 'up the chain'.
Sunshine - If someone is a senior accountant and is constantly making mistakes and repeating them, then yes, they should be sacked. We're not talking petty issues here - we're talking financial matters that affect vulnerable people. I'm not thinking about just myself, but the livelihood of all 150 staff on payroll and over 700 vulnerable service users. Where did you get MH issues from ?? There are none.
Lizs - I know the outcome of reviews as I am the only other person qualified to review their progress and monitor accuracy and have to report to the boss ( and correct all the mistakes).
As for me not being tolerant, I am incredibly tolerant. The behaviour is constant, all day, every day for over 6 months now. I had put it down to nerves of starting a new job, settling in anxieties etc.... and made huge allowances.
This person in my senior, so there is no mentoring, they are at the top of their tree. I have to check all their work, make corrections and inform them of their mistakes. This alongside their childish, attention seeking behaviour has driven to the brink. My colleague's behaviour has been discussed on several occasions and they have been asked to act in a more professional and considerate manner. This lasts about a day and then they revert back to the dancing/waving/singing etc.. Like I have said - there is no one more senior than the boss I have already had multiple discussions with to no avail.

pluck Wed 29-Jun-16 19:40:37

Then your boss will have to take the consequences of staff leaving and possible non-compliance with legal requirements/ guidelines (?). It's shit for you and everyone else who will be affected, though.... sad

NewIdeasToday Wed 29-Jun-16 19:59:26

Sounds like you need to get out quickly. No point letting work get to you like that, and it doesn't sound like your boss is going to deal with the problem. Good luck finding a new job.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 29-Jun-16 20:08:51

Well if the crazy person is your senior why are you checking his work???

Why not just let the mistakes happen?

Also there are thousands of people experienced in the same things as you, perhaps you need to eat humble pie at work tomorrow

scarlets Wed 29-Jun-16 20:56:43

Sounds awful. Stop checking the work and let the boss deal with the fallout. After a few instances of major screwups, the sensible decision will be made I'm sure.

PermanentlyDieting Tue 05-Jul-16 09:07:33

Hi, Thanks for you replies. It looks like my email has been a bit of a kick-start to my boss realising just how bad things are. It was taken with the intention that it was meant and it was me receiving the apology for things getting so out of hand.
The situation was also aided my the boss receiving the 'hairdryer treatment' from an irate service user over yet another mistake whilst the culprit (quite literally) hid in the corner and let him take it. I've been off for a few days now, so I'm interested to see what's gone on whilst I've been away.

JudyCoolibar Tue 05-Jul-16 09:13:10

So has your boss told you what he plans to do about it?

PermanentlyDieting Tue 05-Jul-16 21:25:51

Not yet! But I'll let you know!

Rosamund1 Tue 12-Jul-16 22:14:29

Has there been an update? I stayed in a similar situation and it made me I'll. I'm glad you are taking action and not just putting up with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now