Etiquette for Meetings

(14 Posts)
senua Thu 16-Jun-16 22:58:02

I receive an e-mail telling me when the next Board Meeting is. I'm not a Board member, just an attendee.
Should I respond to say that I am coming to the meeting. Or is it assumed that if I don't send apologies then I am coming.
What's the etiquette these days?

FarelyKnuts Thu 16-Jun-16 23:00:21

You just turn up. You only send apologies if you aren't attending

senua Thu 16-Jun-16 23:06:39

Thanks. That's what I thought, but was sensing vibes the other way.
I was worrying that office etiquette had moved on and I had missed the memo.grin

OllyBJolly Fri 17-Jun-16 08:22:50

If it's an email, the polite thing to do is respond with a thanks and confirm attendance (as with any meeting).

If it's formal invite with agenda and board papers, it will be assumed you are attending unless you say otherwise.

BluePitchFork Fri 17-Jun-16 08:25:17

I would reply back to ask if I was the right recipient of this invitiation and in case if what I need to bring.

senua Fri 17-Jun-16 15:39:57

If it's an email, the polite thing to do is respond with a thanks and confirm attendance (as with any meeting).

You see, this was my worry. Has e-mail changed the rules? Do I RSVP, as per Olly, or not, as per Farely.confused

FinderofNeedles Sat 18-Jun-16 00:39:34

Maybe it's essentially a 'save the date' email, giving you a heads-up before they issue a meeting invitation via Outlook. If so, you just 'accept' the meeting and that's your response - no need for a separate email unless you have a query.

NightWanderer Sat 18-Jun-16 01:04:10

It's really not a big deal, just reply something like 'Thank you. I'm looking forward to attending. senua'.

I don't think it's a huge etiquette problem, but perhaps they've had a lot of problems with non-attendance and are trying to pin down numbers.

venusinscorpio Sat 18-Jun-16 02:00:26

Personally I always RSVP yes/no or tentative to an email or outlook meeting invite, because I know the organiser will be aware that people don't always read their emails and I like to be helpful. If I am setting one up and need to know (and sometimes you do as an organiser for a variety of reasons) if particular people are coming, I will chase them down until I get an answer if I don't hear from them!

venusinscorpio Sat 18-Jun-16 02:02:35

However in your case you're not a Board member so unless you have any special role in the meeting I doubt they'll be too concerned if you don't reply.

OlennasWimple Sat 18-Jun-16 02:09:51

I tend to acknowledge receipt along the lines of "many thanks, see you then"

KeyserSophie Sat 18-Jun-16 02:15:48

If you're a required attendee then yes, confirm.

I would just email back "noted with thanks" or "noted- in diary"

daisym00n Sun 19-Jun-16 11:08:52

When I send out board papers and agendas I only expect responses from those who are sending apologies.

OllyBJolly Mon 20-Jun-16 08:24:26

When I send out board papers and agendas I only expect responses from those who are sending apologies

When I first became a director I was told in no uncertain terms that the only valid reason for missing a board meeting is death. (That chairman was a bit of a stickler!) I've always worked on the basis that board members are assumed to be attending unless they notify otherwise.

I think it's useful for the organiser to know who else might be attending in order to distribute additional papers, ensure there are enough chairs, sandwiches etc. Therefore, if a non director is invited it is only polite they confirm attendance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now