Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gutted with payrise

(15 Posts)
Kirriemuir Thu 16-Jun-16 18:23:50

3 months ago work got rid of someone and asked me to step in and manage my own branch and this sacked persons. I was told my salary would be reflected accordingly. This was 3 months ago. I accepted. I've always wanted to get my hands on the branch as I feel I can make a big difference. Unfortunately the senior director has been off sick so my salary was only just reviewed on Tuesday. I was told today and it equates to 37p per hour extra. I was already on a low salary for the role I do.

I am genuinely gutted. Trying hard not to cry! I have worked hours and hours over and above to move things along - which they acknowledge.

I have been on a low salary while the DC have been little so in the knowledge that I can do plays, sports days, leave when ill etc. All fantastic while children are little but they are older an the role is much, much more now. Big responsibility etc.

I need to speak with my boss tomorrow but being honest we are so far apart with what's been offered against what I want I don't want to hold them to ransom and just really want to go back to my old role.

Not sure how to play this tomorrow. I honestly don't want to come across as pay me or else. A big part wants the role but the responsibility is massive for very little reward.

In numerical terms 37p is on offer. A reasonable but under market salary expected by me is an additional £2.50 an hour.

LolBeansandSalad Thu 16-Jun-16 18:34:37

There's really nothing wrong with 'pay me or else' you know, it's how half the world operates- it's just business smile

"I've enjoyed looking after this branch and hope you can see the hard work I've put in, but the offer received yesterday is much lower than I expected. I think £xx would be a fairer reflection- I can negotiate a little bit but if you can't offer anything near then no problem, I'll drop back to my previous role from xxxx (date)"

And mean it. Don't sell yourself short for the sake of being 'nice'. It's not personal and they won't think less of you for it

GoldPlatedBacon Thu 16-Jun-16 18:39:32

lol has the right idea re negoting salary but you need to scrap the ' I'll drop back to my previous role'. Your role now is the branch manager, you were offered and accepted the role. Your employer doesn't have to let you return to your old role just because you're not happy with the salary.

Your best bet would be to find job adverts of similar roles and use the advertised salary to help justify your salary expectations.

Kirriemuir Thu 16-Jun-16 18:40:27

Thank you. The role is not worth what they have offered. It involves longer hours with the laptop at home, staffing issues and ongoing complaints so no way am I doing it for a half piss in the wind increase.

My old role is 6 miles from home. New role is 36 round trip.

Kirriemuir Thu 16-Jun-16 18:42:15

The new role was offered to me on the basis that I would be rewarded substantially. Call with my boss.

LolBeansandSalad Thu 16-Jun-16 18:48:08

Sorry yes I was presuming this was a secondment with view to permanency. Presumably there hasn't been a new contract if salary hasn't been confirmed until now?

Kirriemuir Thu 16-Jun-16 18:50:49

No, no new contract. The new role is to manage 2 branches. Previous role was 1 branch.

AddToBasket Thu 16-Jun-16 18:51:13

This is not one for 'a chat' this is one for a carefully worded letter/email requesting a formal meeting and telling them why.

Oblomov16 Thu 16-Jun-16 18:52:27

What about the fact that you now have 'branch manager' or equivalent on your cv?
You've worked hard, you've not been actually given this new job title. No one can take that away from you. It's worth a lot. Negotiate, negotiate. Only drop down to old job as last resort. And certainly don't offer that as an option at this stage. Could you do it for a short period? Even if they don't agree to any of Extra money and then try and find new job? Because you'll then be looking at equivalent branch manger roles, because you'll have it tucked under your belt. That is worth a lot, don't underestimate that.

Oblomov16 Thu 16-Jun-16 18:53:50

You've NOW been given this new title.
Sorry spelling mistake.

LolBeansandSalad Thu 16-Jun-16 18:54:46

I don't think it is a new title is it? Just more responsibility

Emochild Thu 16-Jun-16 18:55:44

I made the mistake once of accepting and starting a promotion without discussing salary due to a store being in trouble and needing a quick solution

They assumed I would be grateful for the standard parcentage increase on my salary which was already low due to family friendly hours

Fortunately I knew and could provide examples of what others were on in more junior roles than me who also happened to be men so ended up getting paid fairly

It's always worth holding out for what is right

Kirriemuir Thu 16-Jun-16 18:57:08

Addto- I have been drafting and email all afternoon and trying hard not to get emotional in it and keep factual. It's hard. I can usually have a full and frank conversation with my original branch boss. I don't know whether I am upset at the rise or really angry!

Kirriemuir Thu 16-Jun-16 18:57:53

No, no new title. Just another branch. And more staff to manage. I have always been a manager.

Kirriemuir Thu 16-Jun-16 18:59:36

Oh and yes, even with the extra 37p I am on a salary less than other managers. They are newer staff members than me. I have been there 7 years. Recent ones 2 years and 8 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now