Talk

Advanced search

appropriate seating for pregnant woman

(8 Posts)
mamijo Wed 15-Jun-16 19:10:56

Hi everyone,
I work in a nursery in the preschool room to be precise (2-5) full time.
I'm currently 32weeks pregnant and I've been sitting on short uncomfortable wooden chairs. I've told my manager about this several times and she says the chairs are fine hmm. The only good thing about them is that they are wide for adults, but not high enough to support me when I'm getting up and now that I'm
8 months pregnant it's getting worse. She only just did a risk assessment at the beginning of June (after I alerted head office) when she was aware of my pregnancy in January. I'll be going on maternity leave at the beginning of July, but would like to know your opinions on what chairs are suitable for pregnant women in a childcare setting.

Also, at the previous nursery I worked at, expectant colleagues were given comfortable chairs to sit on like the one pictures here. At work we have a wicker chair with arms that is more comfortable, and is not a danger to anyone else in the room. However, my manager wants me to sit on the ones she thinks is best.

Please help.

Thanks

NewIdeasToday Wed 15-Jun-16 19:16:23

I'm afraid that if you're eight months pregnant and going on maternity leave in two weeks it seems very unlikely that your manager is going to buy you a new chair now. And even if she did, by the time it was delivered you'd be nearly finished work.

Why can't you just explain you need to sit on the wicker chair that's there already?

WellErrr Wed 15-Jun-16 19:22:56

Wss ^

mamijo Wed 15-Jun-16 19:31:45

I'm not asking her to buy a new chair. I'm asking for advise on which chairs are suitable for that setting.

jclm Thu 16-Jun-16 10:35:00

Could you bring one of those chair cushions to work, and tie it to the chair? That would help I think.
When I was pregnant it didn't bother mW to sit on a hard chair. But I was in pain from sitting on sofas and the seat in the car, as those chairs sloped down and were no good for a pregnant woman's posture x

mamijo Thu 16-Jun-16 12:50:10

Thanks jclm
That would be helpful. The manager also doesn't understand because she doesn't have children.

Crinkle77 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:16:51

It sounds to me like she is deliberately awkward rather than just not understanding because she is not pregnant. I have never had kids but I can see that a hard wooden chair wouldn't be comfortable for a pregnant lady to sit on. I don't see how can justify telling what chair you should sit on?

Crinkle77 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:17:17

Sorry meant to say not understanding because she hasn't had kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now