Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Redundancy question (on behalf of my daughter)

(3 Posts)
FuzzyCustard Wed 15-Jun-16 15:29:33

My daughter has worked for the same organisation for 7.5 years and now her role is at risk of redundancy. She's been told two very conflicting things:

a) voluntary redundancy is unlikely to be an option because there is a new role on the table which fits her skills and experiences, is the same hours and the same grade, aka 'alternative suitable employment' (although it would involve a geographical area of more than twice the size and hence LOTS more travelling)

b) She cannot be transitioned into the new role because the new role is actually very different to what she's doing now and therefore she needs to make a formal application and go through an assessment centre

She has to either apply for redundancy (and explain that the new role is not suitable) or apply for a new job, What happens if she does neither?

(She'd like to take redundancy, but obviously with a redundancy package, not just shown the door!)

Thanks in advance for any helpful information or pointers for her - she's really anxious about the outcome.

EBearhug Wed 15-Jun-16 23:54:51

In summary, she needs to find out more information and make an informed decision.

If she's been told she's at risk, then presumably in her current role, there are more people than jobs available. Last time we were at risk, I asked about voluntary redundancy, and was told we could ask, but we'd only be accepted if it fitted with what they wanted - 3 of 7 had to go. They knew which 3 they definitely wanted to keep, which 2 they definitely didn't want - asking for voluntary would only have made a difference for the last 2; if either of those had volunteered, they'd have been accepted, but as neither did, they looked at all the other criteria.

I think they're obliged to look at whether they can redeploy people, but it won't always be possible. With the new role - if she is able to do it, wouldn't other people who are also being made redundant? So there is competition for the role anyway.

Does she want to stay? If she doesn't want to stay there in any role, then just ask for redundancy.

If she would like to stay if possible - she needs to find out more about the new role. Even if it is very different, she might be able to do it. She needs the job spec and list of essential and desirable criteria, and then see how her skills and experience fit that. If she's at all interested, then she should give it a shot. She'll need to look at the job spec and see how she can match the criteria and best market herself for the role.

I don't know what will happen if she does nothing. I suspect the default result would be redundancy, but sometimes, people who volunteer for the first round will get a more favourable deal. Doing nothing is unlikely to be the best option for her.

She should be able to find out what's actually on offer - finding out information shouldn't prejudice what happens to her at all, it just enables her to make a more informed decision.

Also look at the ACAS website - they've got some useful information about your rights and so on in a redundancy situation.
www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1611

Exactly what the employer is obliged to do will depend on how many people are being made redundant. Also , she should check her contract, to see if that mentions redundancy - she'll be entitled to statutory redundancy pay, but many companies offer enhanced terms, which can be much more favourable. If she's in a union, she should talk to them, too.

FuzzyCustard Thu 16-Jun-16 10:32:46

Many thanks EBear. I've forwarded a link to the thread to her so she can read your wise words for herself. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now