Talk

Advanced search

Potential slander case

(4 Posts)
Dollyparton3 Fri 03-Jun-16 16:31:27

so.... I recently came across correspondence from someone who has left my company (was his line manager to took over his inbox). In it he was slagging me off to another colleague, saying I was sacked for incompetence at my last job (completely untrue) and various other lies about my personal life that paint a picture of me being a bit of a bitch in all honesty. He was a really good friend at the time of us working together so I guess people would have believed the lies he was telling them.

I've spoken with HR and they've reassure me that this rumour mongering didn't go any further. However I work in an industry where my reputation is key. I'm considering sending him a rather bolshy letter to tell him that his comments are slanderous and should I catch him again I'll have him in front of a solicitor, the alternative is that I can go to a solicitor now, but it will cost me the best part of £500, WWYD?

scarlets Fri 03-Jun-16 17:09:13

I would first get legal advice as to whether you have a case. This initial meeting shouldn't cost £500. Then, you'll know whether you're likely to succeed and how much it might cost, so will be better-placed to decide. HR reassured you, but are they absolutely sure that his comments weren't disseminated to other people in your industry? Is there anyone you could ask about any rumours, in confidence?

Dollyparton3 Fri 03-Jun-16 17:28:18

That's a good idea. The first solicitor I approached (with a very short summary) quoted me £500 for 2 hours work, but you're right, I'd want to be sure I had a case before paying anyone!!

I think it was relatively contained where I work now, but now that he's left I have no idea what he's saying, that's sort of why I want to show some teeth and put a stop to it ASAP.

Horrible little man.

MummyBex1985 Fri 03-Jun-16 23:16:56

I'm an employment lawyer and an initial meeting with me costs between £500 and £1,000 depending on the case.

I would talk to the client on the phone to ascertain if there was a potential claim for free, though.

Anyway - defamation claims are generally not worth running, quite frankly. I might be tempted to send a cease and desist letter to him though to knock it in the head and let him know what a prick he is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now