Talk

Advanced search

Longshot but as a HE Administrator would you consider my skill base suitable for a library assistant?

(7 Posts)
mammasmadhouse Tue 31-May-16 18:46:44

Ok I work as an administrator in HE in a research environment, have previously worked in finance/personnel/nhs roles, how transferable would you consider my experience/skills..?

DebCee Tue 31-May-16 19:00:25

Can't comment on the appropriate skill mix, but do know from a librarian friend that there are a lot of surplus librarians at the moment but very few jobs.

So - if there is a specific vacancy you have in mind, worth having a go but recognise there may be others more qualified.

If you are thinking of a general career change, probably not the best choice.

Flak32016 Wed 01-Jun-16 21:26:45

Due to council cuts a lot of libraries are closing

Secondly, libraries are not just about books. A lot now offer other activities for various age groups like craft days, meet a pet, board games, singing, adult meet ups for various hobbies, careers advice etc

I would look for a different career

EBearhug Thu 02-Jun-16 00:11:43

Are you thinking of public libraries, academic libraries or company libraries?

Library assistants don't usually have professional qualifications, so yes. It's shelving and filing (electronically), issuing and returning books, showing users how to log on to the internet and so on. And the pay is usually rubbish.

If you want to be a librarian, you'll probably need professional qualifications - but I'd have thought your skills would mostly be transferable, if you've worked in research environments and know about research. However, as has been pointed out, there's a lot of competition these days, because there have been so many cutbacks. Even before then, you often had to wait for people to die or retire before there were promotion opportunities.

The skills needed in library work is about organising and managing information and making sure people who need that information can find it, whatever format it's in. Libraries aren't the only places those skills can be used in. (And you might get paid more for it outside of libraries.)

(I think I might still feel a bit resentful about how crap the pay was...)

PerspicaciaTick Thu 02-Jun-16 00:21:29

As a library assistant in a local library you would probably be a) receiving and sending out books to other libraries (ie. unpacking crates of books or picking books off the shelves and logging them on the system) b) keeping the library shelves tidy and shelving returned books c) helping the general public find their way around and possibly helping them use the computers/photocopiers etc. d) you may also be running a toddler group, book club, setting up displays or getting involved in other community events.
It is an unqualified position. You may have to be very flexible with working hours and weekend working. You will probably be paid around NMW.
It is a lovely job, but not one requiring much experience or prior admin skills. They will be mostly looking for IT literacy, customer facing experience and being able to incorporate the local councils current buzzwords into your interview.

jclm Sat 04-Jun-16 01:48:51

Just out of interest, why are you wanting to change careers? I'm thinking about a career in HE administration, after a few years working as a post doc researcher. X

mammasmadhouse Sat 04-Jun-16 09:52:25

Hi All, many thanks for your replies, the library post is in the NHS and as I work within a research centre, I thought this would use both my HE and NHS experience and skill base.

jclm - my role is fixed term, the student aspect of my role is great, but I do miss the nhs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now