Talk

Advanced search

urgent interview help!

(6 Posts)
diamond457 Tue 31-May-16 13:00:08

I have an interview tomorrow for a fantastic job I've always wanted.

I left my old job on awful terms. I was bullied for two years and I ended up walking out and going off with stress for two months before resigning. I involved h.r. but I couldn't take it any further due to lack of evidence. It was my manager that was bullying me.
I have just found out that a relative of my old manager works at the place I am interviewing at. When it came to the question of why did you leave your job I was going to say that I wanted to find a job based better on my career aspirations and I think we wanted different things....now I can't!!!
The last thing I need is rumours flying around before I have even started. I don't know what to do.

lljkk Tue 31-May-16 13:53:30

Is relative at new place interviewing you?
Or going to be asked to supply a reference?
I reckon most relatives would stay out of it, actually.

diamond457 Tue 31-May-16 14:03:18

I don't think the relative will be interviewing me no. I'm not going to put the bully manager down as reference as I have other good references. I have met him a few times but have never worked with him or even had a proper conversation with him, it's only because he's came and visited my boss while I was working.
I'm sure he's probably heard a very different side to the story to mine and I'm worried rumours will fly around. I just want to move on from the hell I've endured and do a decent job.
I'm also worried he reports back to my ex boss and she starts making my life hell by phoning the company up. I know this isn't allowed but I wouldn't put it past her. She is malicious and spiteful.
Should I just stick to the original plan of saying the company and I wanted different things and I left?
Worried sick as it's a job I really want

InTheSandPit Tue 31-May-16 14:07:25

Yes, stick to the original idea. Not lying.
Good luck with the interview flowers

lljkk Tue 31-May-16 14:13:08

Conduct yourself with dignity & try not to worry about what bastards might do. Relative may be very acutely aware of character defects of your ex-boss.

diamond457 Tue 31-May-16 14:40:59

Thanks guys. If the truth comes out if I get the job I will be openly honest about the events that made me leave and make it clear I don't Want any trouble or hassle in my job...but as far as interviews go I'm not getting into a big spiel about bullying or start bad mouthing ex bosses in the interview.

And I suppose if she phones up the company it will make it look like she's the trouble maker and not me.
Gutted as I wanted to move on with a bit of dignity and peace but now there is a risk that fires will start so to speak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now