Advanced search

Boss won't pay wages

(10 Posts)
ParsleyCake Thu 19-May-16 00:02:05

My partner got a job about a month ago. It was a good job, as a dog groomer, and it was going well until four days in when he fell ill and had to take two days off. He literally could not stand his migraines were so bad. His boss basically apologised but told him not to return - they needed someone more reliable. Now the woman he had been working with had been a bit of a b** and had been making it hard for him to do his job well by treating him rudely, so he didn't really mind too much about losing the job, as it had become clear it wasn't going to go well. Saying that, he had kept his head down, been polite and worked hard. By the way, he had also quickly realised that this boss treated people like they were dispensable, firing them for any reason.

However, this job really had been a good opportunity and we decided that he should take it despite the expensive two hour commute. We aren't rich, so this was a sacrifice for us which we hoped would benefit his career. It didn't work out though, and that would have been fine - these things happen. Except his ex boss is now ignoring his messages about the four days pay he is owed.

It cost us £15 a day for him to travel to that job, and we really need the money he could have earned.

What on earth can we do? I suppose the boss probably didn't bother putting him through the books as he had not worked there long enough. Should we just leave it? He was speaking the the guy in Facebook messenger, and had given him his bank details just before he was fired. The boss replied a few times as three weeks went by with no pay in the bank, saying "next week", and "the accountant will get round to it" and "the accountant is waiting to hear back from HMRC about your tax code". Four weeks have gone by now and he has not replied to the latest message we sent him a week ago,

IceMaiden73 Thu 19-May-16 08:02:09

What were the dates? Normally payroll is only run once a month

ParsleyCake Thu 19-May-16 12:33:12

The pay is weekly

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 19-May-16 12:38:26

If it's four days, how much is he owed? That'll probably guide your next steps.

ParsleyCake Thu 19-May-16 12:44:50

He's owed about £220. Minimum wage, around 8 hours a day

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 19-May-16 12:46:23

I'm guessing that it's a minimum wage job, so £7.20 per hour. For four 7 hour days that's about £200.

But with £15 travelling costs per day, that's a daily take home of about £35 - not a lot for a 2 hour commute! (and I haven't deducted tax and NI from that).

ParsleyCake Thu 19-May-16 13:00:46

Yes there's not a lot of money back once we paid for the commute, but it was a really good opportunity, career wise. We should have known it was too good to be true, my partner is a newly qualified dog groomer and this man owned a chain of salons. He was offered a grooming job, full time (which is rare if you are not self employed) with the opportunity to later move to running a new branch that was opening as head groomer. Also, we were desperate not to go onto JSA after the horrific experiences we had in the past with it where we were forced to pay back everything and fined on top of that for things out of our control.

In hindsight we now realise this guy was moving through job applicants at a fast rate, probably letting them work for a week or so then firing them unless the groomer he already had hired liked them. I say this because the other groomer was quite keen on working with my partner until she was offered the opportunity to work with a couple of women she was friends with. The next day my partner was asked not to return - although admittedly, as I said, he had been off ill for a couple of days. She let slip that there had been a huge amount of applicants for the job so it was a little fishy that my partner got the job so easily when he was only newly qualified.

HermioneWeasley Thu 19-May-16 19:14:30

He can claim for unpaid wages at employment tribunal, but will have to pay fees which might outweigh the wages.

redhat Thu 19-May-16 19:19:04

Contact acas, get a conciliation number and that then creates a short period of time in which the parties try to reach agreement (using ACAS's services to help you reach an agreement). This doesn't cost you anything. In all likelihood the employer will then realise that you are not going to just disappear and will pay up.

If not then you can consider a claim for unlawful deductions from wages.

ParsleyCake Thu 19-May-16 19:38:44

Thankyou redHat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now