Talk

Advanced search

HR Experts please! Advice on Performance Improvement Plan

(3 Posts)
Silverine08 Wed 11-May-16 01:38:03

Quick background summary - I've been with my employer for 5 years. The first 4 I was recognised as a high performer each year. Just over a year ago I had a severe mental breakdown (hospital for 4 weeks then off for another 8) Returned to work and boss has changed from good work mate to total superbitch. After trying to pin her down over several months and getting crap answers from her, we have a meeting where I tell her that the way she is behaving is making me ill and I want to resign. She asks me not to and that all is fine. Go on holiday and when I get back she's sent me an invite to discuss performance concerns and once I'm there she tells me I'm now on a performance improvement plan. I suffer a complete relapse.

What I need to know is, is there a general approach to how and when a company puts someone on a PIP? How common is it where no performance concerns have been previously raised with an employee? If HR approve the PIP, what do they consider before giving approval?

If anyone can help I would be soooo grateful!

lionsleepstonight Thu 12-May-16 21:37:52

I'm not an expert or in HR but did she give clear reasons for the need for the pip and how your current performance does not reach the expected standard. The standard to which you are being measured against needs to have been told to you before the pip. What is the pip for, attendance or performance? Also, have you been getting regular performance reviews and how was your performance measured in those?

FuzzyOwl Thu 12-May-16 21:42:04

Make sure part of your meeting contains the training, support and coaching your manager will be providing for you to ensure you do meet your target.

Do you have Occ Health at your company? Self refer or insist on a management referral now. Get them to advise whether you come under the Equality Act with your health and, if so, reasonable adjustments to make work manageable for you. If you can think of any of these, then discuss them with Occ Health during the meeting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now