Advanced search

NHS when do I resign?

(6 Posts)
Gorja Tue 10-May-16 20:45:49

Please help me get this straight in my head.

Been offered a new job today in another NHS trust. This is of course dependant on references, DBS etc.

I have to give two months notice to my current NHS Trust. To further complicate things I am going to moving a significant distance so need to find and buy house, find schools for kids etc.

So when do I resign? Do I wait till all checks are complete or do I resign earlier as I need to work two months? I can't seem to work out timescales and such.

pippistrelle Wed 11-May-16 10:51:12

Wait until the checks are complete. I'm sure there's no reason to worry, but your offer of employment is subject to them receiving satisfactory responses. Resigning before that process is complete would seem foolhardy to me - unless a) you're desperate to leave, and b) confident you could do without the salary in the event of any delay.

Hope it's all sorted quickly though, and congratulations on your new job!

CountryLovingGirl Fri 13-May-16 06:40:22


Congratulations on the new job! I have, recently, moved from one trust to another (although I did work with at this trust before for many years). I handed my notice in as soon as I got the offer in writing and references were back. I had worked there before though so had the confidence they weren't going to turn me away.

littleblackno Fri 13-May-16 06:48:25

I'd wait until you have checks back and have a formal offer/ start date. If you leave your current job before this then there could be a gap in your employment and you'd loose any continuation of service benefits. Your current employment (for example) should end on Sunday and new contract start on Monday.

annandale Fri 13-May-16 06:52:27

I don't resign formally from the job I have until I have got an offer in writing from my new job. If they want you, they can pull their finger out and sort the paperwork.

Doesn't stop me doing a lot of planning...

yorkshapudding Fri 13-May-16 07:32:38

I wouldn't officially hand in my notice until I had an offer in writing and all checks had come back. I would speak to my manager though and let them know that I had been offered another position as I wouldn't want them to find out I was leaving by seeing the reference request pop up in their inbox.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now