Talk

Advanced search

Been offered work before baby is born but after maternity leave and pay has started

(4 Posts)
SusanAndBinkyRideForth Tue 10-May-16 14:04:48

I'm a supply teacher (agency worker) and due to being increasingly knackered and battered by SPD I asked to start maternity leave early. - 8 weeks before baby is due.

However I've been asked by one of the schools I regularly work at to do 2 weeks after this date.

It is now less than 28 days until I start maternity leave.

From what I make out from the gov page, I am allowed to work during SMP period before baby is born, as long as it is for a different employer? So the school could employ me directly?

Is there anyone who can tell me if my understanding of this is correct?

www.gov.uk/government/publications/maternity-benefits-technical-guidance/maternity-benefits-technical-guidance

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Tue 10-May-16 14:06:19

...OR... can I change my start of maternity leave to a later date as long as the new date is more than 28 days away, even though the original date is less than 28 days?

I'm struggling with a virus and migraine today so can't seem to process the webpage properly...

Cakeymum Tue 10-May-16 15:13:08

You can do 10 Keep in Touch Days without losing your mat pay, and I understand these can be done before or after the baby is actually born

That may be a simple solution?

www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant/keeping-in-touch-days/

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Tue 10-May-16 15:42:27

hmm for some reason I had it in my head that KIT days were for the end of ML to prepare for returning. Yes that might work smile Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now