Advanced search

Been taxed on first pay in new job but not earning enough to pay tax. Will I get it back?

(15 Posts)
SoftKittyWarmKitty Fri 29-Apr-16 22:23:02

I've recently started a new job that's part time min wage, earning less than £6k pa. I've had my first pay this week and I've been taxed but shouldn't have been, as I'm earning under the tax threshold. I'll get my wage slip next week so it might become clearer then as I'll be able to see if I've been allocated an emergency tax code. Will I get the tax back soon, or will I have to wait until the end of the financial year? Given I'm earning such a low amount I really need every penny.

OneEpisode Fri 29-Apr-16 22:29:14

Congrats on your new job. Your new employer should have asked you for your tax status, so a p45 from your last job, or asked you to fill in a p46. If they didn't or haven't processed it yet, then they've deducted more tax than need be. Ask. If they get your tax code right, you'd get an automatic refund of overpaid tax but in the next pay period, which I think is monthly for you. Sorry.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Fri 29-Apr-16 22:40:18

Thanks One, I've given them my P45 from my last job but I only started recently so perhaps it hasn't been processed yet. I don't mind waiting until next month to get it back, as long as I do. smile I'll mention it to them next week. Thanks for your quick response.

confusedandemployed Sat 30-Apr-16 07:35:55

As the new tax year has just started, if you finished your last job before 5th April your P45 will most likely not matter.

You have been put on emergency tax by the sound of it (check with your employer). You may need to call the tax office yourself to ensure that they have your employment details right. In any case you should be issued with the correct tax code before your next pay period but if you're a control freak like me you'll check with the tax office just in case

OneEpisode Sat 30-Apr-16 07:51:48

Good morning! Your employer needs to know how much tax you've paid so far this tax year... And as confused says, in April that's not a lot. They also need to know your tax code. They also need to know that this job is your only income., for instance that you don't have another job or pension income etc. Check with your employer they have what they need.

IceMaiden73 Sat 30-Apr-16 08:31:24

It sounds like you are on an emergency tax code - speak to payroll and check they have everything they need to correct this next week

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 01-May-16 21:11:29

Thanks all. I also do a couple of hours' self employed work each week but as it's the start of the tax year I haven't paid any tax yet. I'll submit a tax return after this new tax year ends but unless something major changes, I won't earn enough to pay tax (even combining my employed and self employed work). When I started this job I filled in a form that my employer gave me and ticked the box that said 'I also have another job' because I also do a bit of self employed work. Was that wrong?

HungoverLikeaSpunMoorhenChick Sun 01-May-16 21:13:00

Not wrong, but it assumed your tax free allowance is on your other job.

You need to contact the tax office and get them to amend your code and let your employer know.

Balletgirlmum Sun 01-May-16 21:16:18

I work in payroll.

If you tick the box to say you have another Job then hmrc will assume your tax allowance will be used for that.

You should have ticked the box to say that this is my main OR only job & then you would get your full allowance on this job & not your small amount of self employment.

OneEpisode Sun 01-May-16 22:11:42

Aagghh. It does explains why you have been taxed. Your employer is forced to assume you are a taxpayer with them because your super high paid self employment is using up the allowances. The tax office can send a notice of your tax code, and you won't get a refund of the tax until after that...

SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 02-May-16 21:40:54

Oh crap! So I need to ring the tax office and don't it myself then let my employer know? I'll call them tomorrow as soon as I get home from work.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 02-May-16 21:41:42

Excuse typo on that last post!

Balletgirlmum Mon 02-May-16 23:45:31

Your employer will not be able to do anything until they get an updated coding notice from the tax office.

confusedandemployed Wed 04-May-16 16:06:19

Yes you need to ring the tax office yourself

SoftKittyWarmKitty Wed 04-May-16 21:38:55

Thanks both. I spoke to the company's accountant today (small company, so they do payroll) and my tax code has been amended and it's all sorted. I'll get a refund of last month's tax in the May payroll. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now