Driving licence revoked do I tell employer?

(24 Posts)
willowcatkin111 Fri 22-Apr-16 21:21:46

Just that really. Do I need to tell my employer? It was revoked on medical grounds not drink / drug driving or anything.

YesThisIsMe Fri 22-Apr-16 21:22:43

Do you have to drive for your work at all? Do you have a company car?

BikeRunSki Fri 22-Apr-16 21:25:22

Yes. If you don't need to drive for work, then it doesn't matter. If you do, then you shouldn't be anymore.

Moreisnnogedag Fri 22-Apr-16 21:28:41

It depends on your contract/job specification. My job specification states that I need to drive so I would have to inform my employer. It wouldn't mean my job would be at risk but it would mean some workarounds would be needed.

If however I didn't need to drive for my role I wouldn't tell my employer.

SauvignonBlanche Fri 22-Apr-16 21:29:29

Only if it's relevant. I did as I needed their help with Access to Work paperwork for travel costs.

willowcatkin111 Fri 22-Apr-16 21:34:30

I don't have a company car but may need to drive occasionally. Don't have a car so use a company car on the odd occasion I need to go somewhere. Worried if I tell them they will sack me as I can no longer do the full role?

Moreisnnogedag Fri 22-Apr-16 21:44:08

If it's a medical reason is it covered by disability discrimination? Is it likely to be long term?

MyFriendsCallMeOh Fri 22-Apr-16 21:48:41

Can you uber if you need to get somewhere? I suspect you employers only concern would be your ability to do the job. If you can find alternative transport and still do the job, there is no issue.

chillycurtains Fri 22-Apr-16 21:58:58

Only you know how often you need to drive for your job and how crucial it is to your employer. If it's that important then yes, you need to tell them. I would imagine you might be covered by discrimination laws if they tried to sack you as it was caused by medical conditions.

ChessieFL Sat 23-Apr-16 07:11:33

Do you actually need to drive for your job, or do you need to be able to get to another location? As long as you can still get to the other location (eg taxi, get a lift) then surely there shouldn't be a problem? As others have said it could be disability discrimination unless you driving is absolutely essential to the job.

BeauGlacons Sat 23-Apr-16 07:15:14

If it has been revoked for medical reasons there is likely yo be an underlying disability fir which they are obliged to consider reasonable adjustments.

What are they like generally as employers.

Gizlotsmum Sat 23-Apr-16 07:35:02

We legally need to tell our company even if we only drive occassionally ( even if we just get points and use our own cars) I would be tempted to tell them but as other have said say you could get taxi's/ car share as the necessity arose. Better to tell them than them ask you to drive and then you tell them you can't with no alternative in place

BikeRunSki Sat 23-Apr-16 21:16:16

Of course you need to tell them. If you need to drive occasionally, you can't put them in a position where they might ask or expect you to do something illegal.

flowery Sun 24-Apr-16 19:15:14

What reason were you thinking of giving them instead for why you can't drive?

willowcatkin111 Mon 25-Apr-16 02:08:13

I wasn't planning to say anything until the first time I need to drive/get somewhere which I suspect won't be for a while ...

JassyRadlett Mon 25-Apr-16 02:18:46

What's your plan for when that happens? Ie do you have a solution all worked out, or are you planning to tell your work you can't drive as they'd envisaged?

AlleyCatandRastaMouse Mon 25-Apr-16 03:01:59

Could you organise and pay for a taxi on the rare occasion you need to drive or would that be outrageously expensive ?

NerrSnerr Mon 25-Apr-16 03:08:58

I think you need to tell them bow. In my job if driving was necessary they'd redeploy you to a full office job. If it could be avoided they'd do that.

FishWithABicycle Mon 25-Apr-16 05:29:36

If they advertised your role would "holding a full clean UK driving licence" be an essential or a desirable on the job person description or is it so rarely needed that it wouldn't be mentioned? What reasonable adjustment could be made to allow you to fulfil the requirements of the job without driving?

It would not be discrimination for an employer to start (very careful and highly regulated) proceedings to remove someone from their post if a newly acquired disability or medical condition meant they could no longer do their job (e.g. a bus driver with failing eyesight) but your employers might be hard pressed to demonstrate that this activity is essential to your role if it this rare.

I think you need to tell them because the occasion when they next need you to go to this place could arise at short notice and as an employer I'd be thoroughly pissed off if an employee who had previously done X task left it until X next needed doing before mentioning they could no longer do X. If you can combine telling them with making one or more suggestions for possible ways to deal with this then so much the better.

flowery Mon 25-Apr-16 08:11:56

So you were planning on telling them but not until very short notice before they need you to drive somewhere?

Yes, I'd say that's likely to be far more irritating for them than you giving them plenty of notice and working with them to plan alternatives.

willowcatkin111 Mon 25-Apr-16 13:03:01

No I wouldn't just leave them in the lurch. Should be able to get where I need by public transport / taxi or take someone else to do the driving

flowery Mon 25-Apr-16 14:37:02

So if you are going to tell them anyway, next time they need you to drive, why not tell them now?

AlleyCatandRastaMouse Mon 25-Apr-16 18:11:13

Then I would tell them willow and tell them your intention to carry out your duties exactly as before in spite of the impediment put in your path.

TimeOfGlass Mon 25-Apr-16 18:18:54

I would tell them now. If you should be able to get where you need by using public transport / taxi / lifts, tell them that too, so they know you can still do your full job.

I would imagine an employer would find it very annoying if they asked an employee to go somewhere at short notice, and the employee said something like "oh, I can't drive anymore, I lost my license on medical grounds x months ago and didn't get round to telling you before" even if the employee did then start talking about it's okay because of public transport and taxis and lifts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now