Talk

Advanced search

Employed cleaners who drive - mileage allowance?

(7 Posts)
phoenix1973 Fri 22-Apr-16 16:18:19

I have been offered a job as an employed domestic (and part commercial) cleaner.
This will mean driving to the lock up first thing to collect chemicals then onwards to the homes to clean them. I will be given a round each day, by area.
Sounds fine.
However, the job is minimum wage and obviously I will incur wear and tear and mileage costs (not to mention insurance) on my vehicle.
Is it standard to request a mileage allowance or mention it at interview?
I have an interview tomorrow and would like a rough idea of what the norm. is for this type of job.
Thanks

hejsvejs Fri 22-Apr-16 16:24:26

45 p per mile up to 10,000 miles and 25 p thereafter is typical I think.

Patchworkrainbow123 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:24:00

I think it varies. I am a home carer and we are paid 30p per mile. Anything less than 45p you can claim back on your tax.

SocksRock Sat 23-Apr-16 08:42:54

I wouldn't expect to be paid mileage for the home - lockup bit, as could be argued that that is your commute. But I would expect mileage once I had left the lock up until my last stopping point (lock up - do you go back to it?).

I get 45p/mile up to 10,000 miles.

Be wary, if you get offered less than this and told to claim the rest through tax, it is only the tax on the remainder you get. So if you get offered 30p/mile and to claim the rest back, you only get 20% of 15p/mile back.

phoenix1973 Thu 28-Apr-16 13:53:18

Thanks for the information. I asked the prospective employer what the allowance is and she said "no allowance".
She said the ladies just car share and the homes are not far from each other so they get round it that way. She said that she didn't know how much work use insurance is. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't tell the insurers that they are using their own cars for work.
I wasn't happy with this set up (as it was NOT self employed) and I wasn't prepared to hike my insurance for a NMW job. So I turned it down.

Choughed Thu 28-Apr-16 14:33:01

They are operating illegally. There was a European directive recently covering this. I'm dashing out now but if you google you can find it.

Choughed Thu 28-Apr-16 21:37:22

See?

https://www.gov.uk/minimum-wage-different-types-work/overview

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now