Talk

Advanced search

How best to get tailored, mature careers advice for experienced 40-something professional (me!), not fresh from maternity but career still buggered up by kids, career coach worth it?

(20 Posts)
Movingonmymind Tue 19-Apr-16 15:20:41

Just that really. Have a masters, am mid 40s (😞) quite a lot of experience albeit recently part-time, have done quite a lot of training (currently unused), considering doing prince2 , would like to move towards full time eventually but moderately SN teen v needy right now and missing lots of school so with dh away about 5-6 days a week, not sure I can do that for a while! Did careers workshop 1:1 a couple of years ago which was ok, read Parachute and all the others, pondering setting up my own business I can summon the time & energy. Currently working in rather unsatisifyirng part time role, more junior than k had been by choice in order to be there for my kids. Help!?

Movingonmymind Tue 19-Apr-16 16:38:24

Anyone?? Maybe should repost in chat for traffic..

Brokenbiscuit Tue 19-Apr-16 19:27:31

I'm afraid I don't have any good advice but I'm watching with interest!

On paper, I have a fantastic career - senior role, really good salary, lots of flexibility, lots of autonomy etc. But I'm so bored - I've learnt loads over the last 10 years but feel I'm coming to a standstill.

Not interested in climbing further up the ladder in my current field, as I'm already much further away from the "action" than I'd like to be and I am just not interested enough to take on the extra responsibility that it would entail. Quite fancy the idea of working for myself, but with DH also being self-employed, that would be a big risk.

I'm the main breadwinner and my salary pays our mortgage, so it's difficult to branch out. But I'm only 43 and can't contemplate staying exactly where I am for the next 25 years!

pitterpatterrain Tue 19-Apr-16 19:30:24

Also watching with interest. Pondered getting a career coach but never really sure whether I would find someone who clicks / can help.

iseenodust Tue 19-Apr-16 19:42:23

I'm in a very similar position and in an area not known for economic affluence. From looking around at friends and colleagues things seem to come down to three options
1. Go self-employed either in consultancy or whole new/hobby/interest direction.
2. Take lowly job but ensure in a sector that you have an affinity with and there are opportunities for progression.
3. Accept the status quo and meet your need for intellectual stimulation/learning/new activity in your leisure time.

JennyHolzersGhost Tue 19-Apr-16 19:46:00

Also watching with interest .
Have been thinking on and off for about five years now about going back to university to do something completely different. No idea what though .I think i could do something scientific or technical and apparently there's a massive skills shortage there. But the choices are so bewilderingly complex that i have no idea how to figure out what!

PinPon Tue 19-Apr-16 19:46:07

Have you thought about trying the careers service at the university where you did the masters? They may be used to helping mature students explore their options.

OneMoreForExtra Tue 19-Apr-16 19:48:06

I'm off to see a career coach tomorrow - will report back!

Movingonmymind Tue 19-Apr-16 21:05:53

Good luck, Onemore! Will be v interested to read your report back.

NeatandTidyTidyandNeat Tue 19-Apr-16 21:19:09

Do you have friends/colleagues you could ask to recommend a coach? I think that might be a better option for exploring your professional directions, rather than looking for "career advisor" services that might be aimed at less experienced people.

(If your employer will pay for you to do PRINCE2, feel free - in my view, it's a system that makes a fairly simple premise into a very involved textbook grin but it is recognised widely. Very expensive to self-fund though.)

ReedBunting Tue 19-Apr-16 21:21:39

watching with interest too. I am considering looking into a career coach to help me reassess my options post children.

Chorltonswheelies422 Tue 19-Apr-16 21:28:43

Can I follow please? I had my first session with a career coach last month, next session next week.

I decided to get one because I have never known what I would be greatest at and I want to know. I did strengths finder and that has a quote in it about a man arriving in heaven and wanting to know who the greatest general of all time would have been.

If only I can find out, I'd be unstoppable as I definitely have the drive, enthusiasm and commitment to do it.

Looking with interest for other recommendations.

Marzipants Tue 19-Apr-16 21:32:32

I saw a career coach about 15 years ago (that makes me feel so old!). We didn't gel so hopefully she's not representative. Her input was basically saying what would your ideal job be if money was no object? Now do it.

Because everyone has a trust fund right? hmm

But, watching with interest. About to head back to work after maternity leave and can't shake the feeling that the best I can hope for is redundancy... sad

Movingonmymind Tue 19-Apr-16 21:38:10

Yes, that's exactly what I don't need. Ditto one who's unrealistic about working around kids - one I have in mind doesn't have them and I do think this affects one's judgement on the issue. Don't what to be asked, "if childcare were sorted/no problem, what would you do?" hmm as not so simple, mine are school age. One quire complex and the 'problem' of fitting around them is just not going to go away, even if I will it to do so.

OneMoreForExtra Wed 20-Apr-16 12:48:12

Well on the basis of today's experience, I'd say time and money well-spent. I benefited from having access to an experienced person who has a good understanding of my sector, and used a combination of insight, experience and common sense to help me clarify my career options, what's going on in my life at the moment, my strengths, and my goals, and to put it together in a way that identified the best two things for me to pursue now, with another bigger goal waiting in the wings for a better time family-wise. She also gave me quite a lot of personal coaching input. So I've come away with a practical to-do list, feeling much more empowered, and with a short and medium term plan to work to.

Agree with OP who said go on the basis of a recommendation though - it might have been different with somrone less good! Good luck!

Movingonmymind Wed 20-Apr-16 19:26:21

Oh that is good, Onemore, glad it helped. I may actually hold out until I've had time to regroup, lick my wounds a little and also attend workfest.

Torres10 Wed 20-Apr-16 20:49:10

Hi there, I am mid 40's with young children stuck in a well paid but dull job. I have engaged a career coach as a last resort really because I just keep going round and round in my head what I could/should do! It isn't cheap, it's cost me a couple of thousand, but it has helped me focus my mind and I am now working towards an end goal of a better job or working for myself, probably the latter. ( only 3 weeks in) .
My coach actually said up front, if you are not prepared to make a change don't waste your money, I decided it was now or never..probably the first question you need to ask and answer honestly before you think of parting with any ££!

ilovesooty Thu 21-Apr-16 00:58:34

A couple of thousand? How many sessions?

Torres10 Fri 22-Apr-16 13:45:49

Unlimited sessions, he commits to 6 months support through understanding yourself and what you want to do, but said he will also be on hand after that to advise.

SortingStuffStill Sat 23-Apr-16 14:54:53

Good value if very tailored, accessible to you and affordable for you. Beyond many budgets, quite a few good, fairly cheap events out there Womenlikeus etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now