Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Career Change, do I get a new job now?

(2 Posts)
Frizzuk1986 Sun 03-Apr-16 20:07:57

I have worked in admin for the past 9 years. Mainly customer service, order processing roles, but I've never really got anywhere. I've always worked hard and have had really positive feedback from managers etc.

I left my last job as they were unable to progress me further, wouldn't make a team leader role and tbh as there were ZERO female management (with men always being promoted above women even if they were rubbish) I didn't expect anything less.
I left about 2 months after returning from Mat leave and went as the next role was more money, a change and I was under the impression there was scope for promotion. Well there hasn't been and more because it's another small team and there is no need for another senior staff member. I have had highly positive feedback from my manager but I feel a bit letdown that I maybe took the wrong job after being misled about the opportunities available.

After a lot of thought I have made the decision that I don't realistically think I can progress the way I want to on my current path. I have enrolled in an accountancy course to complete at home. I always enjoyed numbers and have previously thought several times about doing it but self confidence issues stopped me.
My sister is an accountant and my family and dh are all being really supportive so I just thought I'd go for it.

I am waiting for my books etc to arrive but have thought that maybe if I enjoy the course I should look for a job within accountancy to start gaining experience so that I can continue to progress (even though I expect this could mean a paycut which would be tough at the moment)

The other option would be to complete the course and look for something but from what I know I'll still have to start near the bottom even if I complete this course and the next level as well, but it's almost like the sooner I get experience the quicker I'll get somewhere.
I'm hoping that in 5 - 10 years I might be able to be somewhere in a prominent position.

What do people think? Is it worth going for it early once I know if I enjoy it?

TomTomKitten Sun 03-Apr-16 21:31:13

If that's the direction you want to go in then I would say that working in a Finance Dept can only help. You'll be surrounded by like minded folks and will be able to get a feel for the work and if it's right for you (rather than studying for years then finding out you hate it when you're in your first 'proper' job).

Admin is the road to nowhere. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! PA here....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now