Talk

Advanced search

Not fitting in

(6 Posts)
jobchanger4 Fri 01-Apr-16 21:07:07

I have worked for a large company for 30+ years and have always done a good job and got on with my colleagues. I recently moved to another department to broaden my horizons and am beginning to feel I've made a mistake sad

Everyone in the team is around half my age and it is a whole different culture from my previous team. It seems like being back at school as there is so much chatting, mucking about, swearing, using phones etc. I think they feel that I am just a slow old woman and some of them seem to be picking up on the slightest thing I do wrong. I have also overheard a couple moaning about me as I stood behind them but felt too scared to say anything at the time as I feel so anxious at the moment.

I have been in tears some nights when I get home. It feels like some subtle bullying may be going on but I'm not sure if that's me being paranoid or not. I just get the impression they were rather I was rather not there.

Has anyone else been in this situation at all? Does it get better? Any advice would be helpful.

CountryLovingGirl Fri 01-Apr-16 21:34:15

I feel the same in my job. I am actually leaving to go back to my old job. I only have 2 weeks to work (after my week off next week) and I am desperate to go.

Can you go back to your old department? Have you spoken to your manager about it?

jobchanger4 Fri 01-Apr-16 21:57:10

My old department would probably take me back but it seems like going backwards really. I was glad to leave for various reasons which don't seem so bad now.
I have a one to one with new manager soon so will broach the subject but not sure what they will do about it. We have a new person joining the team soon but she is also very young and friendly with them all anyway.
Was it easy for you to go back country loving girl ?

baddabing Sun 03-Apr-16 11:40:33

How long have you been in the new role, OP?

Totally sympathise - it's absolutely grim being unhappy at work for those reasons. You end up being all the more likely to mess up because you're so stressed and anxious in the environment.

What's the team lead/manager like? Are they 'one of the gang' or more mature?

jobchanger4 Sun 03-Apr-16 14:39:20

babbabing since the beginning of the year. Yes, I am making a few mistakes because of the stress then end up feeling worse and thinking that they are all judging me even more. The team leader is very young and very much 'one of the gang' too. In fact she was one of those that I overheard moaning about me sad
I think if anyone has an issue they should be speaking to me directly rather than amongst themselves and without being aware of the full facts.

M4rv1n Wed 06-Apr-16 08:45:18

The way I see it, you only have two options:

1. Go to you line manager and discuss your concerns with them
2. Try and get your old job back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now