Talk

Advanced search

Not recieving payslips

(10 Posts)
MAMWork Fri 01-Apr-16 09:55:20

Hi, I have namechanged so that I don't get outed. I have been employed by a charitable organisation for almost 7 months, and haven't had a payslip yet. I hadn't thought anything about it until recently when starting a mortgage application, and asked the finance guy about them- he's recently emailed to tell me he can't print off payslips but has forwarded my p60 information to me. Now from looking at the internet, all I can see is that I have a 'right' to have a payslip, but I can't see if it's a legal requirement or not. To make things a little more complicated, I am the only paid employee, everyone else is voluntary. What I'd like to know is, is this right that I don't 'need' a payslip if I have the p60 information? Or are there benefits to having payslips beyond evidence of monthly earnings? A friend of mine who studied law seems to think that I would get less employee rights without a payslip, but surely this can't be right?

Thanks

Becca19962014 Fri 01-Apr-16 14:50:13

You should have one. I don't know about 'rights' but that's the only way to see what's being deducted in terms of tax/NI each month.

You need to look into this urgently. I wouldn't leave it if I was you.

There's some info on payslips here gov site and here legal site

Becca19962014 Fri 01-Apr-16 14:51:25

You are responsible for checking the correct pay/deductions are made which is why you must have one each month.

I don't see any reason why they cannot be printed.

AveEldon Fri 01-Apr-16 15:01:45

www.gov.uk/running-payroll/overview
This suggests if you earn more than £112 a week you should get a payslip

nannynick Fri 01-Apr-16 15:22:42

The p60 is reassuring that they have been reporting earnings.
They should provide a payslip every time you are paid which shows income tax and national insurance deductions made. This can be hand written - they could use a self duplicating book so a copy is kept on file.
I would tell the accountant that you need payslips as you are looking at buying a house and it is your right as an employee to be given a payslip each time you are paid.

Brokenbiscuit Fri 01-Apr-16 16:27:10

Do you have access to an online payslip? My employer dos away with paper ones a few years ago but we can still print them if required.

ChessieFL Fri 01-Apr-16 16:35:40

It is a legal requirement for employees to have a payslip. It doesn't have to be printed though, they could give you access to an electronic version, but one way or another they must give you access to a payslip.

RustyPaperclip Fri 01-Apr-16 17:43:51

I have been in a similar situation in the past. I got in contact with ACAS and I was told that it is a legal requirement to receive a payslip either before or on the day you are paid. Even a day late is illegal. My situation was further complicated , but without giving too much away, I was told that if the worst came to the worst, I could at least provide bank statements to prove earnings had gone into my account. Hope you get it sorted soon as it can really complicate matters.

RustyPaperclip Fri 01-Apr-16 17:45:06

Also, as previous posters have said, there is no reason why they can't send your payslips electronically. A lot of organisations now do so.

MAMWork Fri 01-Apr-16 22:30:24

Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't earn enough to pay NI and tax, but am above the £112 a week. There is no hr department or anything, it is literally run by volunteers, there was one other employee in a different role but they have now left. I've had email copies of hmrc documents related to my pay, including my payroll number etc. I think what I need to do is bring it up with my manager next time I have a meeting and request that I have monthly payslips, by going through him I know it'll be flagged in an official capacity rather than just me talking to the finance guy. It's good to know that it is a legal requirement, and that I'm not being unreasonable in expecting payslips!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now