Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby law - not so free consultation

(15 Posts)
BunMaker Thu 31-Mar-16 22:17:04

Have posted in chat for traffic about whether I can do anything about this but think it is unlikely. Wanted to post here to warn anybody else reaching out to firms offering a free initial consultation (as it will vanish in chat).

Just wanted to post a warning that "free" initial consultations might not be free after all

I had reached out to a solicitors called Baby Law for some advice as I've faced pregnancy related discrimination at work and as it stands I'm not sure I have a job to go back to. I was told it was a free consultation but couldn't get them woman off the phone - she just kept repeating herself and not really offering a lot of useful advice.

Now my phone bill has come through I have a huge £30 charge for the call. I didn't realise it was a premium number - at no point was I warned of the high cost of the call - and she did everything she could to keep me on the phone.

Money is tight at present so I am mainly sad as it is my DC who miss out.

Stillunexpected Thu 31-Mar-16 22:29:10

To be fair, it is an 0844 number. They are only charged at about 5p from a BT landline so unless you were on the phone for a day I assume you must have been calling from your mobile, with higher charges. It's not really up to the company you are calling to warn you of the call charges.

BunMaker Thu 31-Mar-16 22:32:32

I was on my mobile but as they said it was a free consultation I had no idea it was a premium rate number. It was a long call, she wouldn't let me hang up and kept on and on over the same points.

OpenMe Thu 31-Mar-16 22:35:18

How can someone not "let" you hang up?

It does sound off to me. I thought premium numbers had to tell you the line about their charges on advance

FuzzyOwl Thu 31-Mar-16 22:37:30

Sorry to hear about your phone bill
OP. If you still have outstanding queries, you can ring ACAS for free (from a landline anyway) for advice about any work issues.

I hope you get your issues resolved.

BombadierFritz Thu 31-Mar-16 22:42:09

I posted on your other thread. Which mobile network did you use? They can charge up to 75p per min. Its probably your mobile company ripping you off

BombadierFritz Thu 31-Mar-16 22:43:30

Phone your mobile company and cry/complain/beg. They might waive their charges as a one-off.

BunMaker Thu 31-Mar-16 22:53:15

www.babylaw.co.uk/contact-us/

No mention of the premium rate that I can see.

I didn't want to be rude and just hang up - if somebody keeps talking it's my instinct to be polite and listen although I kept saying I had enough advice thank you and she would say one more thing and then say the same thing rephrased ...

BombadierFritz Thu 31-Mar-16 22:55:10

Which mobile phone company are you with?

BunMaker Thu 31-Mar-16 22:58:13

Orange.

If it is their charge do I stand any chance of claiming some of it back somehow?

BombadierFritz Thu 31-Mar-16 23:03:52

I think its 7p a minute charge for that number

BombadierFritz Thu 31-Mar-16 23:06:52

Orange might have charged you 35p per minute, so a lotmore than the 7p a min cost that babylaw charged (i think).

BombadierFritz Thu 31-Mar-16 23:07:43

Yes. Just phone up orange and cry or complain or beg (you choose) and they might let you off

namechangedtoday15 Thu 31-Mar-16 23:10:34

The free consultation means you're not being charged for the solicitors time. Normally they work on an hourly rate (perhaps upto £300/350 per hr depending on their experience / where they're based). That's what you've had for free, not the actual phone call.

MorticiaLiverish Fri 01-Apr-16 09:35:33

I know it won't help you now, but for future reference here is some info on 0844 numbers:

0844 number call costs

Special two-part charging arrangements apply when calling 0844 numbers.

The first part of the call cost is your own phone company's standard per-minute ‘access charge’ which applies to all calls to numbers starting 084, 087, 09 or 118.

The second part is a variable ‘service charge’ which benefits the organisation you are calling. They are responsible for advising you of the rate that applies before you call.

Total call costs will typically be anywhere from 7p to 52p per minute, plus up to an additional 7p per-call charge.

In most circumstances, 0844 numbers will cost you more to call than a normal landline and will not be included in any free call allowances or bundled minutes that your tariff offers.

From here: www.area-codes.org.uk/0844-numbers.php

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now