Advanced search

teach first valid overseas?

(16 Posts)
thisismypassword Mon 28-Mar-16 14:36:43

I wouldn't rule out emigrating in the future but it looks like some teaching routes aren't accepted to teach in Australia, New Zealand or Canada.

Is teach first accepted? If not, do you think they'll ever change this rule seeing as the uk is pushing school based training?

If they don't change it soon there won't be any teachers to go overseas (which the uk government would actually love!)

SavoyCabbage Mon 28-Mar-16 15:37:30

In Australia you have to gave a four year degree.

SavoyCabbage Mon 28-Mar-16 15:44:09

Sorry, I should have said that I don't really know what Teach First is. I've just met people who have gone to teach in Australia and then can't as they did a three year BEd.

mummytime Mon 28-Mar-16 15:49:00

You will almost certainly have to top up to a masters level qualification.

I don't think the government will care, as having a qualification which isn't recognised outside the UK will limit the ability of teachers to go overseas.

BlueLeafTea Mon 28-Mar-16 15:49:59

Teach first just gives you a normal pgce so if that's accepted overseas then yes it's accepted

thisismypassword Tue 29-Mar-16 07:28:56

They do t mention teach first on the emigration website, just gtp m, Schmitt and another that I ant remember the name of.

Probably best just to contact them!

thisismypassword Tue 29-Mar-16 07:29:51

Oh my days that was full of typos... Feeding my baby!!

Don't mention teach first
Do mention schitt

BlueLeafTea Tue 29-Mar-16 10:57:21

Teach first is not a specific training scheme. You get a pgce from whatever university they have partnered with in that region e.g. If you do teach first in the south west you'll get a pgce from the university of Bristol. If you do teach first in London you'll have a pgce from ucl institute of education.

BlueLeafTea Tue 29-Mar-16 11:00:53

Teach first is fine as you'll have a pgce. See this article

Generally you will need a university or college teaching qualification (BEdor PGCE) and an Australian education visa or working visa. You will need to have your teaching skills assessed by the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership

beatboboogie Tue 29-Mar-16 11:13:33

Thanks, yes I did my teach first training through university of Manchester.

I've emailed a few people. Nothing back yet!

Is there anyone in Australia that did teach first??

Thisismypassword Tue 29-Mar-16 11:14:17

Oops changed my username!!

BlueLeafTea Tue 29-Mar-16 14:43:42

But it's not about teach first! You have a pgce. The fact you did it through the teach first training route means nothing.

The question you should be asking is is anyone teaching in Australia with a pgce?

BlueLeafTea Tue 29-Mar-16 14:44:30

Try asking on the tes overseas forum though

BlueLeafTea Tue 29-Mar-16 14:46:53

In fact here's the thread for you

SavoyCabbage Tue 29-Mar-16 15:50:15

You have to have a PGCE or a four year BEd as, like I said before, you have to have a four year degree.

Getting registered is an uphill task though. As is getting a job in an urban area as they are like hens teeth. Well, I can only speak for Victoria really.

Thisismypassword Tue 29-Mar-16 20:59:36

Yes I've noticed this. Perhaps when their curriculum is more embedded they'll see clear gaps in what subjects they need to plug. I'm a languages teacher and uptake is the lowest it's been in decades. Not looking good for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now