Talk

Advanced search

Should I raise a grievance?

(8 Posts)
edwinbear Mon 28-Mar-16 12:51:44

I work in an industry where an annual bonus is the norm, I've been awarded one for the last 17 years and being a top 5 earner across a sales team of around 50, expected to receive one this year as normal. My line manager recommended me for one, however a senior manager has vetoed it. She gave no real reason when questioned, other than she felt others were more deserving.

HR have said its unusual for a senior manager to veto a line managers recommendation but bonuses are of course, discretionary and ultimately there is little I can do.

I work part time, full time colleagues who generated less than me last year have been awarded bonuses. It is, of course, illegal to discriminate on the basis of working part time, but practically speaking, if I wanted to peruse this, initially I have to raise a grievance against a senior manager. My guess is she would subsequently make me redundant, which would also be illegal but would require an employment tribunal and the associated costs to remedy. I would also never find another job that pays as well, on a part time basis. The alternative however is I stand by and allow this to happen which feels so very wrong.

Has anyone raised a workplace grievance and had it work out OK or do they always result in the person raising it getting fired?

wowfudge Mon 28-Mar-16 12:55:01

I'd be asking myself whether I wanted to continue to work for a company where such blatant discrimination was condoned (by the failure of anyone to pull the senior manager up on her behaviour). If I were you I would ask what the criteria were which were applied this year and how come you didn't make them as a starting point.

scarlets Mon 28-Mar-16 12:55:37

I would seek advice from ACAS.

TheSnowFairy Mon 28-Mar-16 13:10:04

I assume you have hit your targets / not had a lot of time off sick?

That is outrageous. Sales bonuses are meant to motivate top achievers to make even more sales, this has clearly not done that. I would definitely be asking for more clarification as to how they are being awarded.

edwinbear Mon 28-Mar-16 13:29:57

All my targets have been hit, the business area I work in actually exceeded plan, the one other colleague I work with in that sector (a full timer) did get one. My performance ratings have improved on last years and I've had no time off sick at all. I've had senior colleagues write to my line manager saying how well I have supported them, it's completely irrational. My line manager I think was more shocked than me.

I've spoken to ACAS and two employment lawyers who all believe I have a case, but also say the reality is that if I choose to pursue it, the likelihood is that I will get managed out, and whilst I'd then have a strong unfair dismissal case winning these things can be expensive and stressful. I do question whether I want to continue working for an organisation that sits back and watches this happen without intervening, but I value working 4 days a week which is incredibly unusual in my industry. I'd probably get another job, but it would have to be full time and I love having one day a week taking dc's to school.

IAmNotAMindReader Mon 28-Mar-16 14:39:07

I'd start looking for other jobs tbh. This could well be the start of you being managed out anyway. Raising a grievance could just accelerate that process. At least this way you go when you are ready and in the meantime if things improve you haven't lost anything by looking and being sure of your position.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Mar-16 21:51:55

Hi there,

We're moving this thread over to the Employment Issues topic now, at the OP's request. Thanks to everyone who's offered advice so far.

Mimmi78 Wed 30-Mar-16 07:29:45

I'm in exactly the same position right now! The line manager involved actually referred to me, and the other part time (all female) workers in the office as, "lifestyle workers". He did it in front of my whole team and I was so upset. I, like you, thought there was nothing else out there and cannot risk a employment claim in an industry as incestuous as London FS! However, yesterday I was offered a role that ticks all the boxes with a leader who actually said, "we want to grow you"!!!! My advice, look around but be dignified and classy if and when you do go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now