Talk

Advanced search

Job dilemma

(15 Posts)
Iamdazedandconfused Tue 22-Mar-16 18:24:49

I hope somebody can help with some outside perspective! sad

I apologise that this will be long...

Basically I'm a trainee solicitor, I qualify later this year. I've worked for my current firm for several years. I get on well with my colleagues, including my boss, but the firm is quite small and has been through issues with previous members of staff in the past which made it feel unstable.

As the firm is small they only practice in personal injury, child care proceedings and employment law. The vast majority of my training was in child care which I feel very competent in and that's the field I'd qualify into if I stayed at my firm.

My boss warned the whole firm a while ago that newly qualified solicitor jobs (there are 4 trainees including me at the moment) were not guaranteed because of some economic uncertainty around PI changes and legal aid (for child care).

As a result I went and applied to another bigger local firm with a view to taking a newly qualified position in their crime department. Crime is something I've been interested in for a long time and something I could see myself working in, but I obviously have no experience of it first hand to guarantee that I'd like it. I've now been offered a job in that department for when I qualify and the salary is higher than what I would anticipate being offered at my current firm.

My problem is whether to stay or go, essentially. I really like the people I work with but I'm underpaid and I doubt my qualifying salary would be as good as at the other firm.

I don't know whether to take a bit of a leap of faith and hope I like the new field and new people, or to stay where it's comfortable. Im very worried that I might leave and hate it! On the other hand, I'm also concerned about staying put and regretting it. The new place is quite structured/traditional and my current place is much more flexible.

After revealing my new job offer last week I've been told that my current firm would have a guaranteed job for me when I qualify, that they value me very highly and that they really don't want me to leave.

Is anybody able to give me an objective perspective? I'm completely torn and my mum and partner saying "go with your gut" isn't helping!

Thank you wise people of mumsnet. X

Gizlotsmum Tue 22-Mar-16 18:28:55

I'd take the new job, don't leave on bad terms and if you really hate it look elsewhere. Use it as good experience and you may be able to move more easily within the bigger firm, rather than stay and hope there might be a role for you where you are

Gizlotsmum Tue 22-Mar-16 18:30:39

Sorry missed that your current place would guarantee you a role... Still think I would go...

BikeRunSki Tue 22-Mar-16 18:32:27

Go, it sounds like you would stagnate in your existing firm. Far more opportunities in the new job. Your boss has already told you that a job is not guaranteed - that's your hint!

BikeRunSki Tue 22-Mar-16 18:34:15

Also missed that the existing firm would offer you a permanent role, but also think you should take the new job. You need to push your comfort zone to progress.

tribpot Tue 22-Mar-16 18:34:21

Yep, I agree. Being willing to move around is how you push your salary up, far more (in my non-legal experience) than doing a good job in one place for a long period of time.

In this case as well I think you'd be taking a safe option over gaining valuable experience (and in an area you want to explore). I also don't really like the fact your current firm have guaranteed you a post, to the disadvantage of the other trainees, who presumably wouldn't know they were fighting it out over one less post.

As Gizlots says, try to leave on good terms, and who knows - you may find your way back to the current firm in due time, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Go for it.

ElinorRochdale Tue 22-Mar-16 18:37:44

Take the new job. It's a step up in your career. Higher pay, and an opportunity to broaden your experience. Staying where you are, you risk getting too comfortable and not really progressing.

Iamdazedandconfused Tue 22-Mar-16 19:57:53

Thank you for all your help guys smile I think moving is the sensible option in my head but I need to let myself come round to it if that makes sense.

I think one thing kind of putting doubt in my mind about moving is that I'm already well respected where I am and I worked my way up to being an important, self sufficient part of the department. Moving will put me right at the bottom again so that I have to prove myself again. I know that's the same in any job move, mind.

Similarly, when I discussed moving with my boss he said that achieving seniority would be a much quicker process where I currently am as they already know and trust me, I have several years of experience in the field and the firm is a completely different and more flexible set up to the new, bigger and more traditional one. He also thinks I'd be paid more where I am in the long run - but perhaps he is quite heavily biased!

Lots to think about over the Easter weekend and thank you all so much for giving me the shove I need!

Gizlotsmum Wed 23-Mar-16 06:42:06

It's great that he wants to keep you so much but is it better being a big fish in a small pond or a medium sized ( potentially getting bigger) fish in a big pond? Good luck on your decision

FishWithABicycle Wed 23-Mar-16 07:16:57

Go to the new firm.

IceMaiden73 Wed 23-Mar-16 09:32:08

I'd take the new job

LemonBreeland Thu 24-Mar-16 11:37:35

It is too easy to stay where you are as it is the safe option. You know everyone, you know you like it, but moving is better for you in the long term.

Iamdazedandconfused Tue 29-Mar-16 21:30:06

Wow, thank you all so much for taking the time to respond!

I met with my boss again today and he really laid it on thick - even gave me a (small) pay rise! He was trying to make the whole "better the devil you know" point amongst various others which has been my main concern. Despite that, I think I have arrived at the conclusion (with a helpful shove from mumsnet!) to pursue the new job.

I'm very young still and feel like if I don't take the risk now and give this other field of law a try, regardless of all the surrounding financial, working hours, career progression etc issues, I'll probably regret it.

Thanks again wise mumsnetters, I knew in my heart it was the right thing to do but sometimes you need a helping hand to take the leap! flowers

CotswoldStrife Tue 29-Mar-16 21:35:25

Criminal law has shiftwork so as long as being on call (and often called out) over weekends and holidays is OK then go for it! Good luck in your new role!

CotswoldStrife Tue 29-Mar-16 21:35:31

Criminal law has shiftwork so as long as being on call (and often called out) over weekends and holidays is OK then go for it! Good luck in your new role!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now