Talk

Advanced search

Boss is terrible driver...Help!

(16 Posts)
ittooshallpass Thu 25-Feb-16 22:18:47

My boss is a terrible driver. She insists on picking me up and driving us to mtgs together. The journeys are 2+ hours up and down motorways.
She is constantly on her phone... hands free during the call, but looking at phone to find numbers rather than looking at road!
Her spacial awareness is poor... lane swapping... cutting people up... I could go on...
How she hasn't been in a serious accident before now is beyond me!
I have come home from a 4 hour round trip with her driving me today and am a nervous wreck... A thumping stress headache and a pulled muscle in my back due to her slamming on brakes...
How do I tell her I can't travel with her any more!?
She's very unapproachable too...

Ginmakesitallok Thu 25-Feb-16 22:21:47

Offer to drive?

DoreenLethal Thu 25-Feb-16 22:27:51

I will meet you there as i am staying at my sisters/ brothers/old friends and will be coming from the other direction.

I need to drive as i am going to one of the above after the meeting.

ittooshallpass Thu 25-Feb-16 22:59:09

I'll try offering to drive next time... she'd know the staying at sisters etc. was a lie as I'm a single mum and have to pick up from after school club...
I'm just about calming down after today's journey!

lapcat Sun 28-Feb-16 00:57:04

I would probably say that I got motion sickness as a passenger and had struggled with it on previous journeys and therefore would have to drive myself (with or without her as a passenger).

IpreferToblerone Sun 28-Feb-16 19:07:48

Look for a new job? Life is short, good luck.

ittooshallpass Sun 28-Feb-16 21:54:20

That sounds like a plan lapcat.

Getting a new job not an option... only been in this one 3 months!

Spandexpants007 Sun 28-Feb-16 21:59:20

Just tell her that you noticed that she needs to do a lot of calls/business on her phone during the journey and you're going to drive her instead so that she can crack on with things and not worry about the journey.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 28-Feb-16 22:04:14

The motion sickness is a good one, as I actually do get sick as a passenger ever since I had viral meningitis, but never when driving myself.

Blankiefan Sun 28-Feb-16 22:37:40

Tell her you've developed a flatullence issue and don't want to expose her to it?

Seriously tho, Offering to drive is a good option. I'm the boss and always drive if no one offers as I think it's my responsibility to do the hard yards. If someone offers, I'm glad to be driven...

lapcat Mon 29-Feb-16 11:14:53

Let us know how it goes Ittoo

ittooshallpass Mon 29-Feb-16 20:58:46

She insisted on driving again today... sigh... not as bad as it has been, but bad enough!

I like spandex pants idea... makes it look like I'm being really helpful!

Will attempt to get her to let me drive...

Spandexpants007 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:36:06

You could say 'would you rather I drove so you can make phone calls legally or would you prefer to drive and I can make the calls on your behalf?'

Or just be honest. Say you feel really vulnerable when she's multitasking while driving.

Spandexpants007 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:36:24

Email her

angelos02 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:38:56

I wouldn't get in the car with someone that looked at their mobile like that. In the same way as I wouldn't get into a car with a drunk driver.

FantasticButtocks Thu 03-Mar-16 18:04:31

I could not put up with this, it sounds absolutely terrifying! I'd have to say to her in no uncertain terms I'm sorry, but I find your driving style terrifying and I won't be able to be a passenger with you driving again. I'm happy to drive, or if you prefer, I'll meet you there. Really, be direct. Otherwise you'll have this crop up again and again and you'll be in hospital before you know it a bag of nerves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now