Work - in a bit of a pickle - WWYD?

(3 Posts)
MoreCakeMoreCake Tue 23-Feb-16 15:45:22

Apologies in advance for the long and complex issues here and thanks if you do manage to stay awake to the end of my post..!

I took a very flexible job share role 3 years ago to suit childcare arrangements etc. Not somewhere I want to stay but flexibility, pay, job share partner have all been excellent.
I've been told today that the role is being made redundant and I'm invited to apply for the role that will replace it.

So far, fairly straightforward.

I've been thinking of starting a PGCE and becoming an English teacher. In terms of application deadlines etc I'd be looking to start in Sep 2017.

We are also TTC DC#2, which after 2 mc is taking a lot longer than we thought.

The "plan" was to stick it out at work, have maternity leave and then start PGCE part time once baby turns 1.

Well, it's now Feb, I'm not pg, I don't think I have time to apply for Sep PGCE this year AND I am facing applying for this new role / potential redundancy.

Argh. I just don't know where to start. WWYD?

Don't want to put life on hold while TTC but won't be able to complete PGCE while heavily pg or with a newborn.

Totally open to suggestions / other options / things I haven't thought of. Can't see the wood for the trees at the moment. Help!

Millionairerow Tue 23-Feb-16 15:54:48

Make a decision. You'll feel more relaxed and pg may happen when u are relaxed. I'm sure uni would accommodate you if you got pg on a course. I left my job to go to a new one when undergoing IVF and I got pg. Think it's cos I was relaxed. I started new job at 9 wks pg. Que sera

MoreCakeMoreCake Tue 23-Feb-16 15:58:52

Thanks Millionaire. My worries are also financial - without salary or maternity pay while studying I don't know if / how we'd cope....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now