Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help with a bit of advice on employment law? issues at work..

(12 Posts)
isaterror Thu 18-Feb-16 21:01:12

Hi
Ive been in a job since July last year, 3 weeks ago my DD had chicken pox and i took 4 days off work to look after her. On my return i was told that my employer would pay me as usual but that I have to make up the time i took off "at a time that suits them" i work in a country house as an assistant housekeeper to an incredibly wealthy family 3 days a week and am a single parent.

Since then they have been non stop hassling me trying to get me to work the extra hours during evenings and weekends. They insist that i put my daughter into childcare, get other mums to look after her after school and even cancel a weekend away so that i can make up the time.

When they started to insist that I worked upcoming bank holiday weekends I said it wouldnt be possible as its in my contract that i get them off, and asked them to deduct the money from my wages instead. They have refused to do this saying that it creates too much work for payroll and that the lady of the house doesnt want me to go without my usual salary as she knows i am on a tight budget being a lone parent, so making it appear that they have my best interests at heart when really they dont at all.

Ive explained that i dont have any free time on my 2 days off and that i dont want it hanging over me that they will expect me to work at a drop of a hat, but they keep insisting that i just make the time up.

This all feels really unfair - have i got any rights here??

Any help or advice hugely appreciated xx

MashesToPashes Thu 18-Feb-16 21:06:25

What does your contract say regarding your working hours, absences and working hours outside your normal hours?

isaterror Thu 18-Feb-16 21:14:27

Thanks - i need to dig it out and have a look - i suspect it is heavily weighted in their favour!

MashesToPashes Thu 18-Feb-16 21:23:01

Okay, definitely dig it out and ring the Citizens Advice Bureau. I used to work in HR but I don't want you to rely on my advice as things change.

See page 3 of this for the basics on the right to time off. But still, speak to someone.

WipsGlitter Thu 18-Feb-16 21:23:29

Is there no way you could make the time up? Agree a set number of hours / days stick them on the calendar and get it out of the way? How did you think you would make it up when they suggested it?

isaterror Thu 18-Feb-16 21:31:55

Thanks Mashes to Pashes i will dig it out tomorrow and ring CAB - good idea. Thanks for the link too.

WipsGlitter - Thanks if only it were that easy but i will suggest it - nobody exists but their own needs i am now rapidly finding out. Sadly it wasnt suggested, more i was just told that was how it would be - i suppose i just hoped it would at least be during school hours which is when i work.

MashesToPashes Thu 18-Feb-16 21:38:37

Your welcome. I do agree with WipsGlitter if you can find an agreeable compromise it's the way to go. Are you concerned that if you agree to what they want this time they'll try it on in the future?

MashesToPashes Thu 18-Feb-16 21:41:29

Gah! I mean "You're welcome." Your/You're fail.

AutumnLeavesArePretty Fri 19-Feb-16 14:43:26

You are very lucky they are offering you the option to make up the time.

By law, you are entitled to unpaid leave to sort alternative childcare out so four days absence could have meant disciplinary.

If you can't make the time up, then ask if its possible for it to be deducted from your annual leave allowance.

Kennington Fri 19-Feb-16 14:48:54

I would have taken this as annual leave. Ask for 2 or 3 days to be deducted from you leave and then do a few hours overtime next week.

ittooshallpass Thu 25-Feb-16 22:08:33

Surely you are legally entitled to carers leave? That's what I did when my DD had chicken pox.
www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/sick-and-carers-leave/paid-sick-and-carers-leave

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 25-Feb-16 22:45:54

I assume the OP is in the UK where we are only entitled to leave to make emergency arrangements and there is no specific carers leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now