Talk

Advanced search

Missing work because baby ill

(14 Posts)
MumInCyprus Wed 17-Feb-16 07:35:59

For the first time since returning to work from maternity leave at the start of the year I've had to call in to say I won't be in as my baby is sick. I was 'asked' if I'll be able to log on and work from home whilst she naps (I was hoping to nap too as I was up half the night) and although I was only asked I feel it has been very much implied that I'm expected to work a bit of the day. What I'm wondering is if my employer is allowed to do this?

OddBoots Wed 17-Feb-16 07:41:00

What kind of leave are you taking? Annual leave, paid or unpaid? If it is unpaid or annual leave they are a bit cheeky to ask but if it is paid then it sounds reasonable.

WidowWadman Wed 17-Feb-16 07:46:17

If you don't have it as annual leave or unpaid why on earth wouldn't you log in and work from home. The ability to wfh whilst looking after a poorly child is a perk not an imposition

FoxesSitOnBoxes Wed 17-Feb-16 07:51:36

I agree with WidowWadman I would say that they are doing you a favour with giving you this option. It's quite within their right to give you unpaid leave.
I appreciate how exhausting it is when you're up all night with a poorly child but that, in itself, doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to do some work( in my opinion)

ScarlettDarling Wed 17-Feb-16 07:57:27

If you're unable to work because you're exhausted, then you should've rung in sick yourself.

You're really lucky that your employer is giving you the chance to work from home. To be honest, I'd log on and get as much done as possible.

flowery Wed 17-Feb-16 08:32:07

If you'd prefer to take unpaid emergency dependants leave then tell your manager that. Most people would welcome the option to do a bit of work and (presumably) get paid, but if you don't want to, let them know.

firesidechat Thu 18-Feb-16 12:59:30

I think most parents would kill for an employer like yours. The ability to work from home with a sick child is an ideal solution which most parents would grab with both hands.

firesidechat Thu 18-Feb-16 13:01:13

You say For the first time since returning to work from maternity leave at the start of the year I've had to call in to say I won't be in as my baby is sick. That's only been 6 weeks, so not that long.

Gazelda Thu 18-Feb-16 15:04:53

Are you being paid for today? Or unpaid leave?

mouldycheesefan Thu 18-Feb-16 15:06:39

Is it unpaid emergency leave?
Or have you requested short notice paid holiday?

YouSaffBridge Thu 18-Feb-16 15:13:07

Would entirely depend on what leave you are taking today.

Unpaid leave or annual leave - unreasonable (though I have done the odd half hour to help out while child naps if I know we're busy - creating good will and all)

If you are being paid then no, it's not unreasonable.

MackerelOfFact Thu 18-Feb-16 15:13:15

The legislation regarding emergency time off for dependents is summarised here.

You're entitled to time off to make other childcare arrangements, but they don't have to pay you for this time.

IMO you should be glad that they're giving you the option to work from home as presumably this means you will get paid and be able to work flexibly around caring for your sick baby. Do check what today is going to be recorded as though - WFH, emergency time off or annual leave.

MackerelOfFact Thu 18-Feb-16 15:16:00

However if you are actually in Cyprus, I'm not sure what the law is there!

DragonsCanHop Thu 18-Feb-16 17:39:26

As others have said, is it paid or unpaid, taken as short notice annual leave or emergency childcare?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now