Talk

Advanced search

factually untrue reference

(10 Posts)
maydancer Tue 16-Feb-16 20:08:55

Hi some years ago i worked for an employer who was an arsehole, relations gradually deteriorated, i raised a grievance and then left.
I have just been offered another job subject to references. Arseholes Ltd replied that i had been dismissed due to incompetence. I can prove this isn't true because I have a signed copy of arseholes letter, acknowledging receipt of my resignation and asking me if i would like to reconsider.
Please could somebody offer advice?

maydancer Tue 16-Feb-16 20:10:30

Oh I later ended up taking former employer to court over unpaid salary and sex discrimination, so that is why, amongst other things,they are pissed at me!

GoofyIsACow Tue 16-Feb-16 20:11:27

I thought employers weren't allowed to give a bad reference?

loopsylala Tue 16-Feb-16 20:20:49

They are allowed, as long as its accurate.

Choughed Tue 16-Feb-16 20:23:22

Be honest with your new employer.

And send your old employer a solicitor's letter.

LongHardStare Tue 16-Feb-16 20:25:30

Have the new employers been good about it? If they're good people to work for, then your proof that the old employers are liars and some details of other good referees should be enough for them. I wouldn't mention the tribunals if you can help it.

Sounds like you'll be in a good position to take arseholes to court again (or at least threaten to)...

maydancer Tue 16-Feb-16 20:38:20

It is through an agency so I have sent them copies of the letter acknowedging ,my resignation, as well as a favourable review, and letter extending my fixed term contract for another year, dated only six wweeks before I left.I have also supplied an alternative referee.
I would like to make Arseholes sweat a bit too if possible..

prh47bridge Wed 17-Feb-16 09:53:03

Employers are allowed to give a bad reference provided it is factually correct. However, if they provide a bad reference which is not correct you can sue them for libel. I would certainly consult a solicitor about this. You could get the solicitor to send a warning shot across their bows or you could go in hard and get some compensation.

maydancer Thu 18-Feb-16 12:27:47

Update. The agency have themselves requested a reference and it came back with everything ticked as 'very good' or 'excellent' but under reason for leaving do.

maydancer Thu 18-Feb-16 12:29:33

under reasons for leaving put 'dismissed due to incompetence'.When the agency queried this the referee came back and said that she had made a mistake and I had left of my own accord.I am wondering whether she has mixed me up with someone else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now