Talk

Advanced search

Employment Notice

(3 Posts)
djn1 Wed 10-Feb-16 15:53:03

Hello. I currently work as a College Lecturer and wish to hand in my notice and accept a job offer closer to home. My employment contract states I need to give "a terms notice". The college summer term ends on the 01 July 2016 and that is the date I expected HR to agree to my departure. However, HR says that I will be required to work until 31 Aug 2016! They said I should of had it written in a contractual document what a terms notice is but I have never received any such document. I have no staff document outlining any details and there is no further details on the college intranet. I would like to terminate my employment on the 01 Jul 2016 but it looks as if they will not release me till 31 Aug. Any suggestions / help / advice please.

yummumto3girls Wed 10-Feb-16 20:08:39

Generally teachers are paid until 31st August as this correlates with how your pay is calculated, which includes pay for the holidays. It also allows for continuity of service if changing jobs within the same sector but different establishments. Terms are clarified in the school teachers pay and conditions document if you want specific clarity, for most teachers this would form an integral part of your contract of employment and terms and conditions.

djn1 Wed 10-Feb-16 20:32:22

Thanks as a College Lecturer I work the summer months at the college even though there are no students unlike teachers who are on holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now