Advanced search

Should I ask about part time options at interview stage?

(9 Posts)
scaredexcited Tue 09-Feb-16 12:48:12

I have an interview this week for my dream job. It is for a full-time position. I currently work full time; however, for family reasons, I have to reduce my working week (or at least my days in the office) to Monday to Thursday from April. I appreciate that it may seem silly to have applied for a FT role, but it really is my ideal job, so it seemed like a shame not to.

Would it be inappropriate to discuss the possibility of working four days a week (with a possible fifth from home) at interview stage? It is something I would like to be open about from the outset; however, I would hate for it to be the reason for my not being offered the job. The alternative is to wait and see if they offer me the position; however, I think it would seem dishonest to wait to raise the issue until then.

Any opinions would be hugely appreciated - I am getting into a panic about this!

afussyphase Tue 09-Feb-16 12:49:29

I'd raise it once you have the offer, personally. That's the only time you have much leverage! (but I have no experience with this)

JemimaMuddleDuck Tue 09-Feb-16 20:22:13

Wait until you get the offer then broach it. Depends on what the competition is really. If you are outstanding they might consider it but it might just piss them off. If they are advertising a full time job then they probably want a full time person.

Lolimax Tue 09-Feb-16 20:26:00

It's always worth asking, but is it full time for a reason?

Babymamamama Tue 09-Feb-16 20:29:37

No get the offer in writing first. You will be in a much better position to negotiate once they actually want to hire you.

DrSeussRevived Tue 09-Feb-16 20:31:23

I think if you can offer four days a week and the fifth from home, that's fine. I would also wait till an offer even if just four days.

MummyBex1985 Tue 09-Feb-16 20:50:07

I did successfully do this recently, but I was headhunted and the company had been chasing me for a year on and off. So I had them by the short and curlies, really.

Personally I think if it's your dream job, it's not worth the risk. You can apply to reduce your hours through flexible working after you've been employed for six months anyway. If it was a job you wouldn't be disappointed to lose then you'd have nothing to lose by asking! smile

scaredexcited Wed 10-Feb-16 10:20:12

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. MummyBex1985 - I think you are right, it's my dream job so it's not work the risk losing it by asking. I can manage for 6 months and then look at reducing, if they are amenable to it.

yummumto3girls Wed 10-Feb-16 20:15:56

I think you need to gauge it at interview but generally I would wait for the offer first and then there is no doubt about you losing out because you asked! Over the years I have had two 4 X days pw jobs after applying for full time jobs - both asked if I had a preference at interview. I think if we wait for part time jobs to be advertised we would never get any where and most employers are pretty flexible now a days!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: