Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Posting for an elderly colleague

(5 Posts)
snowypenguin Mon 08-Feb-16 19:00:24

There are 3 of us in our branch. Firm has 4 branches throughout the area.

I am 62. 63 in the summer. Can't retire for another few years as I need my state pension.

I had a stroke 8 years ago. Before the stroke I was strong and confident. Could handle my stressful job but since it's been very different. Work were very accommodating. Did lots to help me get back to work however, in the last 12-18 months I am finding it harder and harder to cope. I can't remember a lot of things, make regular mistakes that cost money. My recent one cost us £9000 which I have really been upset about. Dr wants to sign me off but if I am at home on my own I will just worry about things and get more stressed than being in the office. Work are OK for me to take the time I need.

Work have suggested speaking with mind and I am waiting on an appointment.

Some tasks have been taken off me to relieve the pressure but I know things are going to come to a head.

I am the only one in branch that can do my job. We don't have space for another member of staff and my colleague doesn't have the capacity to learn my role which is very different from her own plus she doesn't want to - it involved college and qualifications. The only other staff member is the boss. I can't go to other branches as I have no way of getting there.

What are my options. What are the employers options. I am sure they can't make me redundant because they'd need to replace me. I have been there 24 years. I know work will help me as much as possible but if I can't do the job properly what happens?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 08-Feb-16 19:05:36

My instinct would be that they'd try to retire you on ill health grounds, and if that didn't work, it'd be dismissal for capability reasons. The process isn't so bad, if you agree that you can't work any more. You'd then claim ESA, I think?

I'd second talking to mind and your GP though. You sound hugely stressed.

(also don't take this as Gospel, I could be completely off the mark, but it's some thing things to Google until someone better comes along)

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 08-Feb-16 19:24:19

born summer 1953 reach state pension age autumn 2016- spring 2017?

That reads to me as less than a year to go.

So possibly looking at 6 months sick then redundancy of a similar period. It could well be worth negotiating a 12 month package to go now.

Early retirement because of disability advice

snowypenguin Mon 08-Feb-16 19:37:13

Thanks both. I am the mnetter posting on behalf of colleague. I am also the second member of staff at work. It's horrible watching her go through this. She assured me though she can't retire until 2020 but I did get a bit wrong above. She's 62 this year, not 63 so sorry.

N3wYear2016 Mon 08-Feb-16 22:57:17

I believe in UK there is no longer a retirement age

I believe you can claim your state pension at your state agreed age eg 65, (depending on your age) but you can ask to work beyond your state retirement age. The company has to decide if they wish to allow you to keep working, usually subject to your performance, sickness, attitude and some jobs may have physical requirements.

Nobody is irreplaceable

I would suggest that all procedures should be documented. So that when a new starter joins there is a process to follow.

Similarly, the process documents would allow for periods of; holiday, sickness, maternity, paternity secondments and retirement

Process documents can be created via; paper, PC based documents, video and audio, photos or a combination of all these

The company could employ an external contractor to build the process documents and make some of the processes better

Your company should have documentation that states how much paid sickness you are entitled to per year. If you have worked for a company for a long time, I believe that you would probably receive some weeks at full pay and some weeks at SSP.

I believe that if you are on long term sick, you should be referred to "occupational health", this may be an external company. I believe that there is a formal process to follow, that may eventually result in early retirement.

I guess your colleague could ask to work part time or job share ?

If your colleague is struggling, their manager should put that person onto a performance review and perhaps spread the work load/cross training

Does that help ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: