Talk

Advanced search

Maternity leave/giving notice/extra work

(3 Posts)
Mothpop Fri 05-Feb-16 13:18:00

I am currently on maternity leave and have one month left of SMP before getting no more money. Recently, I have been in talks with my employer regarding returning to work part time but once remuneration came up for discussion yesterday it all took a nose dive - they basically want to pay me half for what I consider to be significantly more than half the work I used to do. I now think that what is best for me is to hand in my notice.
I plan to serve out my 3 months' notice to quit on maternity to leave. This sounds terrible but the longer I spend on maternity leave the greater the amount my employer has to pay me for the holiday I have not taken (--serves them right IMO--). What I would like to do though is some additional part time self employed work over this time period. Does anyone know whether this is permitted? If not, it probably would be necessary for me to hand in my notice ASAP.

flowery Fri 05-Feb-16 15:03:52

You need to check your contract of employment/staff handbook or similar to find out whether your employer places any restrictions on other business interests/employment.

flowery Fri 05-Feb-16 15:05:19

Surely if you have a three month notice period you need to hand in your notice pretty soon anyway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now