Is 45+ too old to train to be an accountant?

(13 Posts)
PouletDePrintemps Mon 25-Jan-16 12:32:42

I am considering doing the ACCA exams but I am not sure if I am too old for this to be realistic. I have over 20 years experience in book-keeping and I have had very positive feedback from the accountants I have worked with.

I imagine most of the jobs that offer study support are given to recent graduates so I may have to fund it myself. I know it will mean sacrificing social life and it is a big commitment which I don't mind if there is a more interesting, better paid job at the end of it.

I don't feel old and I know I have plenty of years in the workforce ahead of me but is 50 too old to be employable as a newly qualified accountant?

PouletDePrintemps Mon 25-Jan-16 16:42:16

Anyone?

Manopaws Tue 26-Jan-16 05:58:27

Go for it. your never to old. I was thinking of doing the same 46. it will open up more doors you may be newly qualified but you will have the experience and also the ability to work self employed if it all hits the fan

eatingworms Wed 27-Jan-16 21:55:22

Ooh I'm 38 and just about to do this too (maybe CIMA though). My work are supportive. I figure I may well have another 30 years before I retire, let's face it!! Definitely not toolate.

daisychain01 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:43:36

Poulet I'm not an accountancy expert, but in terms of getting your formal qualification, to develop your skills from your 20 years of experience, I'd say it is a good investment and you are definitely no age to start worrying about being too old! I hope you enjoy it.

Maybe your employer could agree to part funding, with you paying some as well to show commitment?

lavendersun Thu 28-Jan-16 20:48:08

I did Cipfa as a 40 year old. Complimentary qualification to those in a previous life.

I work for myself doing as much as I want to using most of my skills gained in my 40s and those from my previous career.

Go for it OP, my work is so flexible that I can't imagine retiring properly.

I paid for most of my own papers too.

Star21 Fri 29-Jan-16 21:57:46

I am 44 and have just finished CIMA, like you I had 20 years experience which I think really helped in my studies and has probably given me the edge on other newly qualified candidates.

OneEpisode Fri 29-Jan-16 22:01:15

If you are an experienced bookkeeper have you done the AAT qualification? That would be a great qualification for many roles, what sort of role do you want?

PouletDePrintemps Mon 01-Feb-16 11:47:08

Thanks for the replies, they are really encouraging.

I haven't done AAT but I do have an HND in accounting and an unrelated degree so I would qualify for some exemptions.

I would love a role that involved working with SME owner managed businesses rather than very large companies.

lovesun16 Mon 01-Feb-16 14:09:27

If your memory is good and you have free time/funds for intensive study to finish it in 3 years then go for it. It is better to work in large companies so you get relevant experience, as you have there a possibility to move from one task to another. Otherwise it is pure memorising-sit exam-forgot next day and then you are overqualified for SME.

I am half way through with ACCA but about to switch to ATT. Last month I left my job and now working as self employed (have several clients but not enough), the hardest part is finding new clients... but I have plenty of time to find them :-)

Good luck!

PouletDePrintemps Mon 01-Feb-16 15:06:11

lovesun Can I ask why you decided to change from ACCA to ATT?

I am trying to decide which qualification would suit me best.

lovesun16 Mon 01-Feb-16 17:08:38

PouletDePrintemps I started ACCA when I moved to UK in 2010 with my DS/DH. I was 38, I did not know where I want to be in 5 years time but decided to stay in accounting field as I was fully qualified in Russia. I got exemptions for 4 papers and sat 3 exams and then started working full time to get relevant experience.I moved from one company to another and realised that I prefer working in small, boutique type businesses dealing with client's tax rather then multitasking in big corporations. I decided to change directions and get qualified as Tax Accountant.
If you want to know what sort of knowledge ACCA gives you,take a look at their past papers and studying material on ACCA global website or opentuition.com/
I hope my experience will help you with your decision.

PouletDePrintemps Tue 02-Feb-16 09:58:38

Thanks lovesun.

I need to do much more research to find which option is best for me but I am encouraged that so many posters don't think it is too late to qualify.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now