Talk

Advanced search

How to handle back to work interview

(5 Posts)
Pleasemrstweedie Fri 22-Jan-16 09:24:49

I've posted before about my situation. I cannot trust my line manager after she materially changed my job description without any notice in September 2014 and she has done a number of things since which mean I have no confidence in her, including trying to take my bonus back! She clearly doesn't trust he and I would say our relationship has broken down.

I have a long term health condition. My line manager is aware of this and of its effects on me. For example, she is aware I have some cognitive problems, which affect my ability to carry out my new responsibilities and, because we share an office, she is aware of how stressed I have become because of this. She has see me crying on more than one occasion.

I have tried to raise these issues on a number of occasions, but she will not engage.

I have tried not to let the stress get to me, but since my job description changed, I have had six periods of sick leave, and I am now into the absence review process. All those sick times are 100% genuine. There have been two stomach upsets, three respiratory viruses and one day off for a cold. After the last two viruses, I have had tachycardia and this means I have been off longer than might be expected. I will have been off nine days this time, although I did go into work the first three days I was ill, because I was afraid to go off sick again.

I can see now, that the last two absences with viruses have coincided with times when I should be working on my new responsibilities, so it looks as I am avoiding them. I was not previously conscious of this and had actually booked a GP appointment next week to ask if there was anything I could do to stop myself getting ill all the time.

I'm due to go back on Monday and will have a back to work meeting. I am sitting at home getting very stressed about this. I don't know how to play it. Should I just ask to be referred to Occupational Health? What arectheyblielybtondo?

BeaufortBelle Fri 22-Jan-16 09:40:16

What exactly do you mean by materially changed your job description? Are you now expected to do duties which are not reasonably within your skill set. A librarian cannot reasonably be expected to become a payroll assistant for example but if usually you deal with resolving customer complaints and now you are being asked to compile data about them on a spreadsheet rather than manually that would be fine. If the new duties are relevant to your role and soul be evaluated at the same grade then your duties/jd can be changed. Some training might be needed but there isn't really anything you can do to resist the change.

Why is the change stressing you so much?

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 22-Jan-16 10:50:58

I was in my appraisal at the beginning of September when my line manager slapped a job description on the table. It was dated June, so she had had here months to talk to me about it and had never said a word. I had no idea this was coming. As well as everything I was doing before I now have responsibilities which call for a level of concentration and memory I just do not have because of my long term health condition. If she had talked to me first,my would have made is clear. It s not as if she is not aware of my situation.

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 22-Jan-16 10:54:29

I left my appraisal in floods of tears. At that point I knew that the relationship between me and my line manager had broken down. Two months later she tried to claw back a bonus that I had been paid.

I don't know how much of this I should lay on the table in my back to work meeting, or whether I should just ask to go to Occupational Health, or what the implications of either course of action might be.

I've tried to work through it, but I simply can't.

AgentProvocateur Fri 22-Jan-16 11:07:33

With a long term condition, you're covered by the Equality Act, so there should be reasonable adjustment. But it also doesn't mean that you can't be dismissed if you're no longer capable of doing your job, or if your sick leave is too high.

What reasonable adjustment would you need to be able to do your job? That might be worth thinking about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now