Talk

Advanced search

Struggling at work

(5 Posts)
WipsGlitter Thu 21-Jan-16 19:10:32

Been there six months. Senior manager. Not an expert in the work the org does but am an expert in my own area.

I'm really struggling to fit into the senior management team (seven people, all women). One person obviously doesn't rate me. Some moaning to my face and behind my back about various things I've done where they felt they should have had a chance to cover their ass been consulted. I've been asked to convene regular meetings now to try and address this. Told I needed to "take control" at the first meeting.

Am now beginning to doubt myself. Clam up in the management team meetings.

How do I get my mojo back?? I do have some time to plan and "get my ducks in a row" but am wholly dispirited.

jclm Fri 29-Jan-16 22:56:26

No idea sorry but bumping for you x

TrulyTrulyTrulyOutrageous Fri 29-Jan-16 23:25:05

With no idea about which industry you're in, maybe present your role and responsibilities on a handout and ask them to have a lookand comment/ discuss? Then do the same for each person on your team?

I think it's good to start with a good understanding of what your role is so that those comments you mentioned they made can't continue.

GnomeDePlume Thu 04-Feb-16 09:54:45

Is it a new role or a pre-existing one which you have moved into?

The suggestion about roles and responsibilities is a good one I think. With a new role there may have been an expectation by the other managers that all the rubbish bits certain responsibilities which they held would go into the new role. With an existing role there will have been ways of working which were unofficial but have become the norm.

Set out your stall, you are a competent, professional expert in your field. You are responsible for X, Y and Z. If you are the expert in your field then I am guessing that the others are experts in their own field but may not know yours IYSWIM.

WipsGlitter Fri 05-Feb-16 16:48:05

Just coming back to this. Thanks. It's a new role sort of. There was someone doing elements if it but they didn't really rate her. Setting out my stall is a good idea.

There's definitely some ties being trodden on!

Last few weeks have been a bit better though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now