Talk

Advanced search

Another part-time bank holiday one

(6 Posts)
Marmitelover55 Tue 19-Jan-16 15:48:21

I work 3 days a week in an admin role in a school (job share). The contract is term time plus 3 weeks in the school holidays. I am paid for 47.5 weeks but only work for 42, so get 4.5 weeks unpaid and 5.5 weeks paid holiday (total 10 weeks).

My day off has recently changed to Monday with my job share partner having Wednesday off. All of the bank holidays fall in school holidays (so are not an issue) except the May Day holiday which is in term time.

As a result I think I will lose a day off in comparison to my job share partner, as she will get the Bank holiday Monday off and her usual Wednesday that week and I will only have my usual Monday off.

Is this just tough luck or do I have justification to ask for a day of in lieu instead?

Many thanks.

BombadierFritz Tue 19-Jan-16 15:56:10

What used to happen for your job share partner?

Marmitelover55 Tue 19-Jan-16 16:04:10

She is on maternity leave at the mo but has childcare organised that means she can't work Monday and Friday. She previously had Wednesday and Friday off and me Tuesday and Thursday. I will now be having Monday and Thursday.

flowery Tue 19-Jan-16 16:12:54

You are entitled to the same holiday on a pro rata basis as full time employees, not as part time employees. So technically you are not automatically entitled to the same as your job share partner, no, although it doesn't seem fair.

Are you certain she is getting paid the same and getting an additional paid day off?

If you are the one changing and the change in your days will involve you getting one less paid day off than you had previously, I'd focus on that rather than what happens with her particularly. If the change to your days is reducing the amount of paid leave you get, that's the issue really.

Marmitelover55 Tue 19-Jan-16 16:17:39

It's a bit tricky as we are both changing from all year round to term time plus contracts, so it's hard to compare to before and to full time! I feel fortunate to get the new contract but a bit miffed that I will have a days less holiday. I haven't mentioned it to my boss yet so it might be fine.

Marmitelover55 Tue 19-Jan-16 16:21:12

Yes we will both be on same salary and would have the same paid days off apart from this one. There are other staff on similar contracts but no one else has this issue as they all have a different non-Monday day off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now