Talk

Advanced search

Offered Secondment - but pregnant! Advice please

(5 Posts)
rubywoo91 Thu 14-Jan-16 23:37:56

Hello everyone smile
I'm 16+2 weeks pregnant and work as a health care assistant. My employer has offered me a nursing secondment (my dream job!) But by the time it starts my baby will be 10 months.
I would be returning to work FT anyway, but this would mean a 3 year degree on top of it. I would love peoples thoughts on the matter, this is my first baby and im worried how i will cope and if its fair on my baby kr not. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Childcare wouldn't be an issue so im very lucky in that respect.
Thank you.

Millionairerow Fri 15-Jan-16 00:22:24

Does your employer know you are pregnant? If so, best time to do it. Your job sounds like it'll be full on when u go back. Kids get active and need more support from 2.5 yrs. ESP of you have child no 2 soon. Nothing like kids to focus ones time. : o )

rubywoo91 Fri 15-Jan-16 00:33:47

They do know im pregnant and they still want me to go for the secondment (which is a positive)
Yes i also thought its easier to do the younger they are lol

VimFuego101 Fri 15-Jan-16 00:51:58

Sounds like the perfect time to do it - you could be qualified by the time your child is at school and open up new options in terms of jobs you could do that could fit around school hours if you wanted.

MummyBex1985 Fri 15-Jan-16 10:26:35

I managed to do a degree (I started when we had four kids under five!) whilst also working 30 hours a week. It's definitely doable if you have a routine with early bedtime in place and the motivation to do work when you're tired! Although in my last year I was doing uni work for an hour in the morning, then working 9-5, fitting in half an hour of revision at lunch, coming home and cooking, then studying again and didn't really finish until 10pm most nights (so that was 6am to 10pm of pretty much constant work). Half of my weekend was taken up with study too.

If you're prepared for that then go for it! I just saw it as one difficult year of my life that was worth the work for the reward (I'm now a qualified lawyer).

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now