Talk

Advanced search

Support Group &Organisation Ideas for Adults with ADHD in Workplace

(3 Posts)
Leigh1980 Thu 14-Jan-16 09:48:26

Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd set up this thread for people like me who battle to keep focused and organised at work.

I've a complex job that I love. It's a new job, been there 1.5 months and I love it. I get to work from home too.

There are three elements to my job that needs doing. I have ADHD and really struggle to stay focused. I'm really good creatively but it's the admin element I struggle with. Ice always struggled at work although I've been in retail management for ten years.

I'm lot of management now and am a PA and social media manager. I've always struggled with Organisation and my employees have been ok with it but I do tend to make mistakes. One employer gave me a mentor to help me.

My new employer knows nothing about my ADHD or organizational habits as its been used against me in the past. I love this job so much and really want to excel. Please help wi

Leigh1980 Thu 14-Jan-16 09:49:28

Sorry pressed to soon. Please help with any techniques or if others with ADHD can recommend techniques they use which may be beneficial to me and to others.

yorkshapudding Thu 14-Jan-16 16:45:59

I do not have ADHD but my job involves working with young people who do.

Some people with ADHD find that relaxation and meditation techniques can help them to improve their concentration and attention. The Mental Health Foundation have some really nice relaxation podcasts on their website that you can download for free. This can also help you wind down and 'switch off' once you've finished work which is important.

What is your work environment like? Do you have a quiet space where you can work free from distractions or is it a busy, bustling open plan kind of office? If it's the latter, then try to book a meeting room or 'breakout' room for when you have a lengthy/complex piece of work to do. Write down any 'to do's', appointments etc immediately as soon as they occur to you, before you have time to get distracted and forget. This might mean carrying a 'day planner' or notebook with you at all times or using an electronic device. Just make sure you don't have multiple books, devices, calendars etc going on as this will get confusing very quickly. Either record everything in the same electronic device or paper organiser or keep them together in some sort of binder. You can then begin the day by looking at your 'to do's' and ranking them in priority order. You can add in additonal unplanned tasks that crop up as you go along but always try to deal with one task at a time if possible. Use your phone or electronic diary to set yourself reminders for any meetings, appointments etc.
It might also be worth setting aside specific time periods in the day to respond to emails, answerphone messages etc so that you don't find yourself getting distracted by them when you're in the middle of another task.

Take regular breaks (even if this is just going for a walk around the building or making a cup of tea), especially if your job involves sitting in front of a screen for long periods and try to get some fresh air at some point in the day.

Try to keep your desk/workspace as clear and uncluttered as possible. This will help you stay organised, prevent important items or bits of paperwork getting lost and save you time.

Set aside some time each day purely to address the above (tidying your workspace, updating your calendar, checking that you haven't missed anything off your lists etc) and you will save yourself time and stress in the long run.

Medication can be really helpful for some people in managing their ADHD symptoms but isn't for everyone. If it's something you would like to know more about you can speak to your GP.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now