Talk

Advanced search

how long you have to stay with the company to get maternity benefits?

(14 Posts)
bm2084 Mon 11-Jan-16 18:45:45

Hello ladies,

I am looking or a job in London. Want to understand about maternity benefits. How long you need to be with the company to become eligible for maternity benefits?

Also, do you know the maternity policies for Big 4: EY, PWC, Deloitte, KPMG?

Thank you!

expatinscotland Mon 11-Jan-16 18:47:24

I'm sure they all have websites, why not create a new persona and ask on there. I have a feeling the Big4 won't look too highly on the career of someone who takes a job with them just to get maternity benefits. hmm

originalmavis Mon 11-Jan-16 18:48:21

I was at my city bank for 2 years to get the full shebang but maybe different employers offer different packages?

bm2084 Mon 11-Jan-16 18:56:25

I am already employed there and have 5+ years of experience but just not in the same countrysmile

blackteaplease Mon 11-Jan-16 18:59:03

If you are already employed by the company can't you check the policy on your intranet?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 11-Jan-16 19:03:07

Most of the big four require you to be an employee for two years.

Ktay Mon 11-Jan-16 19:15:54

In terms of statutory maternity benefits, I think it works out that you receive them provided you were employed by the company when you fell pregnant.

mynameiscalypso Mon 11-Jan-16 19:22:44

Generally two years to get the full package. If you're looking to second or transfer to the UK company from the country you're working in now, you might be able to negotiate something different as part of your relocation depending on how much the UK wants you. I would imagine that the big 4 will benchmark their benefit packages so it's probably much of a muchness between them all.

29redshoes Mon 11-Jan-16 19:30:31

myname out of interest, do you know what the full package of maternity benefits would usually entail? Does that mean 6, 9, 12 months on full pay?

29redshoes Mon 11-Jan-16 19:31:01

For the big 4 and similar, I mean.

mynameiscalypso Mon 11-Jan-16 19:45:48

IIRC it's about 6 months full pay or slightly under but my knowledge might be slightly out of date.

maggiethemagpie Mon 11-Jan-16 19:47:12

You have to have been employed for six months before qualifying for maternity leave and statutory maternity pay. The qualifying week is the 15th week before your due date. You have to remain employed in your qualifying week to be eligible.

As for any enhanced maternity pay that will entirely depend on the employer.

Amummyatlast Tue 12-Jan-16 19:08:15

maggie that's not correct. A women is entitled statutory maternity leave from the very first day of employment. And to qualify for SMP she needs 26 weeks qualifying employment by the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth. So as long as you have been employed by your employer for a few weeks before conception, you are entitled to SMP.

maggiethemagpie Thu 14-Jan-16 14:04:27

Sorry my bad. Obviously if you're off to have a baby they can't deny you the leave, but there is a qualifying period for SMP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now