Going abroad when signed off sick?

(7 Posts)
uhoh2016 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:00:43

I'm currently signed off long term with post natal depression. An opportunity has come up for me and baby to go abroad for a long weekend. I'm really looking forward to the break and think it will do me the world of good to get away for a bit.
Could I be sacked if my employer found out?

Plippityplop Sun 10-Jan-16 19:05:16

No. Are you in regular contact with your employer? They should want to see you doing what you can to get yourself well again and if that means time away from your usual routine so be it.

PennyHasNoSurname Sun 10-Jan-16 19:05:49

I cant imagine so. Depression, especially PND can be massively alleviated by being out and about. If you were my employee off with PND and I heard you were going for a trip away with your baby I would be happy for you and would hope it would help ypu bond more/ease your PND.

CountryLovingGirl Sun 10-Jan-16 19:13:24

No, they can't sack you. It will help with your recovery so GO!

uhoh2016 Sun 10-Jan-16 20:55:53

country I'm going anyway but wasn't sure if I should keep it a secret. They want to do a welfare visit which will be around the time I'll be going, didn't know if to be honest about my whereabouts or keep putting them off

ftmsoon Sun 10-Jan-16 20:59:40

Don't keep it a secret, they will find out and that will be very awkward. You will feel like you did something wrong, when you didn't. Enjoy!

maggiethemagpie Sun 10-Jan-16 21:11:15

I work in HR and where I work it's absolutely fine for people to take holiday whilst they are off sick, particularly if it is something like depression. If they have holiday booked and are too sick to go, they can get their holiday days back but if they think they are fit to go on holiday, well there's a world of difference between being fit for work and fit to go on holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now