Talk

Advanced search

Reducing working hours - how are bank hols accounted for?

(10 Posts)
Windowbasket Sun 10-Jan-16 12:20:47

I am currently negotiating with my employer to reduce my hours from 25 a week to 20 a week and I will be working Tuesday to Friday. I need to write a formal letter confirming my request, although my employer has already indicated that this will be fine, subject to a reduction in my salary and holiday entitlement, accordingly. However, what about all the bank holiday Mondays that I will miss out on!? I am unsure about this one - and also whether I should address it in my formal letter? The other employees, who are full-time, will be having the bank holiday Mondays off and should I therefore assume that I am entitled to a day off in lieu as otherwise I am being discriminated against? Or is this not necessarily the case? I would be grateful for some advice - many thanks in advance!

12purpleapples Sun 10-Jan-16 12:22:09

It should be pro rata to your working hours.

confusedandemployed Sun 10-Jan-16 12:26:49

You should get a proportion of the bank holiday time to take at a different time of the week. E.G. 20hours is just over 50% of a working week; let's say 54% for arguments sake.
You should get 54% of the bank holiday allocation, so just over 4 days, to use over the year. Bear in mind Good Friday, Christmas and Boxing day and that you'll need to reserve some time for these bank hols.

BombadierFritz Sun 10-Jan-16 12:29:25

Its the same as when you worked 25 hrs - so still part time. You get a percentage of them off. If you worked mondays this would probably mean you owed them as you would be having too many days off (so if this was the situation previously, tread carefully)

CMOTDibbler Sun 10-Jan-16 12:29:51

Ours is done in hours which makes it very easy - so if ft workers get 200 hours off a year for a 40 hour working week of 8 hours a day, then each bank holiday is taken off at 8 hours.
Someone working 20 hours @ 5 hours a day would get 100 hours leave, using 5 hours for each bank holiday that would fall on a working day for them - our payroll system sorts all this out with the bank holidays/ shutdown all allocated at the beginning of the leave year

flowery Sun 10-Jan-16 15:06:40

You need to not think of missing out on bank holiday Mondays, you need to think of making sure you get the right total amount of paid leave, pro rata to your hours. The only difference between bank holidays and normal holidays is that they occur on specific days. It's the total paid leave that matters.

Penfold007 Sun 10-Jan-16 15:10:40

Does your employer give annual leave plus bank holidays or are the BHs included in your leave allowance?

Windowbasket Sun 10-Jan-16 15:14:01

Thank you everyone. We receive an annual leave entitlement and then the bank hols on top of this. So perhaps if I lump both of these together and then pro rata them, this is the way to do it? That way I would simply book the bank holiday off using my leave entitlement?

flowery Sun 10-Jan-16 16:14:05

Yes exactly.

Windowbasket Sun 10-Jan-16 16:42:21

Great. Thanks all - much easier than I had thought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now