Talk

Advanced search

Being put back on shifts, childcare problem

(6 Posts)
DarkDarkNight Sat 09-Jan-16 20:54:40

Hi

I wanted some advice regarding being put back on shifts in my workplace and whether I have grounds to object.

Since I went back to work after my ML I have not worked shifts but have had set days and hours. Now after 18 months back I've been informed I am to start working them again. Before this meeting my line manager spoke to my ex partner (who works in the same place) to ask if he would provide childcare while I worked. I was fuming, I assumed this would be a confidential issue between me and my manager, I also felt blindsided as my manager's position was I didn't have reason to refuse as I had childcare.

Don't want to drip feed so I will just say my ex partner is a great dad, but unorganised and often has to change contact at the last minute. He had already dropped from two nights per week to two nights per fortnight and the odd night in between. He now has another job and will be working very long hours which will make it difficult to maintain even every other weekend contact for the foreseeable future.

Do I have any grounds to go to HR and say it will not be possible for me to work anything other than my contracted days?

Background info: I was placed 'at risk' before my ML and went back still 'at risk'. Last autumn/winter I was made permanent again.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 09-Jan-16 21:01:27

I think this might be two issues, albeit linked.

Firstly, what have they given you regarding the change? I believe they should give you 30 days notice of any change to your contracted hours. Is that what you have?

Secondly, the issue of confidentiality. It seems totally inappropriate to be discussing your hours with your ex-partner, regardless of him also being a colleague. I'd be making a complaint about that. It's an odd move from your manager, because your childcare arrangements (or lack of them) are of no concern to your employer - they don't need to take that into consideration, so she didn't need to check.

Quodlibet Sat 09-Jan-16 21:01:38

I don't know the legal position but it's totally inappropriate for your manager to consult your ex-partner. I would take the issue to HR. Whether or not your ex is reliable or not is besides the point: your line manager has absolutely no right to discuss this issue with him, nor in any way to try to 'solve' your childcare issue.

Your position should be that you are contracted as set hours, and that shifts aren't possible for you because of various childcare and logistical reasons which your managers don't need to have details of.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sat 09-Jan-16 21:04:43

I have no idea where you stand legally but I'd be raging in your shoes if my manager did that. That's so far out of order I don't even know where to begin. Your manager has effectively put you in the position of depending on your ex for childcare, giving him the owner to fuck up your employment should he choose to. I'd have lost my job years ago if i was reliant on my ex for childcare. God I hope there some rule your manager can get pulled up on for doing that. I'm raging on your behalf angry

DarkDarkNight Sat 09-Jan-16 21:28:40

Thank you for your replies. It was mentioned to me a few weeks ago now, probably over 30 days, but there has been nothing in writing.

My manager is as untrustworthy as they get. I think the reason he did it was so I couldn't use lack of childcare as a reason. I think it was inappropriate, he has no idea what my relationship with my ex is like, or what our custody arrangements are. He was saying late shifts would not be a problem because he had checked with my ex who could have our child, but I can't order my ex to have our child if he doesn't want to or has other plans.

His new job which he will be starting soon is 5 12 hour shifts and the company actually expects its staff to work 6 or 7 and there is a lot of pressure to do so.

CountryLovingGirl Sun 10-Jan-16 16:15:24

Your manager wants a kick! I would be fuming if a manager did that! Have you got a union rep you could speak to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now