Maternity leave and restructure / redundancy

(5 Posts)
Allthefours Fri 08-Jan-16 07:37:08

I am currently on mat leave from my job as office manager in a school. The head spoke to staff on Monday about a whole school restructure which will be effective from sept 16. I knew the restructure was happening before I went on mat leave but none of the details.

The first day of consultation was Monday. I wasn't invited to the meeting but a colleague advised me it took place. The restructure documentation has been emailed to staff but I am not routinely checking my emails and unless my colleague told me I wouldn't have known anything.

Reading through the paperwork, my role is no longer in the new structure. There is a senior administrator role at the same grade as mine.

Can anyone advise whether I should be offered the senior admin role (I suspect the job description will be a variation of mine) or whether I will need to apply for it. The admin team are being hit hard with almost half of the roles removed from the new structure and there are 3 of us on the same grade but with varying roles but only 1 position at this level in the new structure.

I need to speak with the union but I'm peeved that I wasn't invited to the consultation meeting on Monday by official channels.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

confusedandemployed Fri 08-Jan-16 07:39:52

You'll probably need to apply for the new role but you should have been invited to the consultation meeting. I'd get in touch and ask them why you were excluded (dangerous for them). Sorry on phone so need to be brief.

strongandlong Fri 08-Jan-16 08:00:42

This is one of the few situations where being on maternity leave is an advantage. If there is a job for which you are a good match, you must be offered it ahead of other colleagues and without a competitive process.

info here

strongandlong Fri 08-Jan-16 08:01:31

Good luck!

confusedandemployed Fri 08-Jan-16 09:24:48

Oops sorry missed you're on mat leave (doh). Strong is right. The fact you weren't involved in the first meeting goes in your favour too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now