Talk

Advanced search

How does a person go about making a "wholly retrospective claim" for JSA?

(8 Posts)
cheesepie1 Wed 30-Dec-15 09:45:17

Thank you

meditrina Wed 30-Dec-15 09:50:29

Retrospective claims aren't usually allowed.

But if there are exceptional circumstances, I think you apply in the normal way, but it will take longer to process as it has to be referred to a decision maker.

cheesepie1 Wed 30-Dec-15 10:03:52

I can apply online, you mean?

cheesepie1 Wed 30-Dec-15 10:07:11

i signed on for a few months last year and applied for backdated jsa as well. When I mentioned to somebody about this at the jobcentre, they said it wasn't on the database they ever received the forms. I did email my adviser after I posted them to her to check she had got them but never got a response. I phoned the benefits people today and they said what I could do is make a "wholly retrospective claim" for the period I wanted backdated and to phone the new claims number, who then didn't seem to know what this was. I'm not entirely sure how you make these.

dancemom Wed 30-Dec-15 10:11:53

Make your claim in the normal way ie new claim line and when it asks what date you wish to apply from you would give your backdated date. In the any additional info section you can advise the date you wish your claim to end and also explain that it's a retrospective claim. There is also a section for backdating.

WicksEnd Wed 30-Dec-15 10:53:25

What was your reason for wanting to backdate your claim originally?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 30-Dec-15 10:57:23

Do you have any proof that you originally sent the forms?

What was the reason the original backdating?

You'd make a new claim online, and then use the past dates when asked when you want to claim for. It will take an absolute age because it'll probably be rejected initially, and then referred to a decision maker. In all honesty, a very, very small proportion of retrospective claims are granted. The last time I helped with one of these (beginning of 2015), you needed proof that the original forms were returned on time and received, and proof that you chased up their receipt using more than one method (email, call, physical visit) on more than one occasion.

It's worth putting the claim in, but unless you've got that, I wouldn't rely on receiving the money.

cheesepie1 Wed 30-Dec-15 17:06:20

>What was your reason for wanting to backdate your claim originally?

Wasn't aware I was under the 16k threshold... although I am led to believe that is often not a valid reason.

>Do you have any proof that you originally sent the forms?

I did email my adviser to check she got them. I'm not sure if I got proof os postage though... it may be around somewhere though..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now