Talk

Advanced search

Flexible working - very busy job

(3 Posts)
VanillaLatte13 Fri 25-Dec-15 16:28:30

Merry Christmas everyone!
My new year's resolution this year - spend more time with my children even if I earn less.

My job is overall safe and well paid. However - very busy and stressfull. I would like to request 4 days working week, but am almost sure that will not get it due to the nature of my job. I work in property management and have 2 children in primary school. What are my rights in terms of asking to work less for a better work - life balance? I know that you have to prove that the reduction of hours wont harm your work- I know that it will. I am also included in emergency procedures responsibilities and am the first point of contact in the office. If I apply for another job I will have to start in a new field and this will come with significant pay cut which I cant afford. Since last year my husband and I dont have any family or friends who can help with homeworks etc. I am exhausted on a daily basis (work 40 hrs per week). Sometimes I have to work Sats and public holidays which impacts on my health too. I started almost falling asleep after 2pm atvwork.
I know that many of you are in the same situation, but would like to find out what are my options? Any advice please? What do other mothers do?

Fluffyears Sat 26-Dec-15 11:25:36

In property management you know yourself how big your workload is. I have done a similar role and working extra hours I was still drowning. What about job sharing or working from home to give you more flexibility?

flowery Sat 26-Dec-15 15:19:01

Your rights are that you can ask, and your employer can refuse as long as they can demonstrate that at least one of a list of eight specific business reasons apply.

You don't have to prove that it won't affect your work, although of course a request is far more likely to be successful if you can demonstrate that you have considered the possible impact and have already come up with solutions (which don't involve palming your work off on to colleagues).

You know your job and your employer. Work out exactly what their objections are likely to be and prepare solutions to them in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now