Talk

Advanced search

Interview Panic!

(18 Posts)
BeBe32 Tue 22-Dec-15 14:04:21

Hi

I've never posted here before but I could really do with some advice. I enjoy my current job but I would like to progress and also really need to earn a better salary. I applied for another job in the same organisation that I work in but didn't actually expect it to go anywhere but I have just found out I have an interview in the new year. I would love to get this job however the interview involves a presentation which is my worst nightmare and I am panicking to the point of considering turning down the interview. I don't want to but I am so nervous and at the moment (maybe due to panic) I am drawing a complete blank on the topic I have been given. Public speaking is the thing I find the hardest. I am also very nervous about the actual interview element and have no idea what sort of questions I will be asked. I would be so grateful if anyone here has any advice.

Thank you

xxx

purplishclouds Tue 22-Dec-15 14:20:00

Hi Bebe32,
I didn't want to read and run, hopefully someone more informed will come along soon.
In my experience, its all about being prepared. For your presentation make sure you have a structure that breaks down the topic effectively. I'm not sure what industry you're in but the STAR (Situation, Task, Approach , Result ) approach tends to work in my industry.
Practise over and over again. Try to practise with an audience , family and friends so you get more comfortable with the topic. I find this calms my nerves before any interview.
For the interview topics, you have an advantage because you're in the industry so speak to colleagues who may be in similar roles and can help you. Google typical interview questions as well so you have an idea of what can come up.
Hope that helps and all the best.

hownottofuckup Tue 22-Dec-15 14:23:52

I would also contact the department you work for and ask to pay them a visit, see what they do and ask any questions you have. It's pretty much expected where I work and also really useful. Often comes up in the interview too in the form of a 'how did you prepare for this interview' type question

hownottofuckup Tue 22-Dec-15 14:29:46

*are applying for I mean

BeBe32 Tue 22-Dec-15 19:49:10

Thanks for the kind replies. Sorry for the vague initial post, I was going to include a bit more about the job and what I have actually been asked to present on but I was worried that perhaps that someone from where I work might be on here (not sure if that's likely). I work in higher education if that helps at all...

xx

EBearhug Wed 23-Dec-15 00:48:42

Preparation and practice is usually the key to presentations.

More immediately, concentrate on breathing - take deep, slow breaths. This should help with the panic. You can do it during the interview, too. Silence is okay - use it to think, use it to steady your breath.

Have you watched the Amy Cuddy TED Talk? If not, it's worth looking for.

BeBe32 Wed 23-Dec-15 08:51:48

Thank you, I haven't seen the TED talk, I'll have a look.

I know I need to prepare - I think that's why I'm so worried, I would like to prepare the content so then all I need to worry about is practicing the actual presenting of it but I don't feel that I know enough about the subject and so I just don't know where to even start!

xx

TotalPerspectiveVortex Wed 23-Dec-15 08:57:40

How long is your presentation to last? You shouldn't need a vast amount of detail of it is a short presentation. Will it be a PowerPoint?

I agree with Purplish that you can adapt the STAR method to use in your presentation. You should be able to do some research on the key points of your topic & I'd always throw in any recent debate or news on the topic too to show your up to date.

Good luck!!

BeBe32 Wed 23-Dec-15 09:33:22

The brief says to speak for no longer than 10 minutes (which seems a long time to me at the moment!). No PowerPoint - it says there will be no access to technology but notes may be used and a hand-out provided if you wish.

Another part of the interview is an 'informal meeting with colleagues' - has anyone any experience of this kind of thing? I've never had that as part of an interview and have no idea what to expect.

Thank you

x

EBearhug Wed 23-Dec-15 19:14:56

Here's a link to the talk - www.ted.com/speakers/amy_cuddy

An informal meeting with colleagues would mean to me sitting around chatting, rather than either side of an interview table. Don't forget you are still being interviewed, though. Be ready to ask questions about what it's like to work there, the sort of work people are involved in, how their careers have progressed and so on. Depends a bit on the type of work - I'd be asking about how their on-call works, how many calls they get in a typical week and so on, but that's not going to be relevant for everyone.

BeBe32 Thu 24-Dec-15 10:03:43

Thank you! I'll take a look at that link. It is difficult to talk about the interview without being specific the sector/role really. If there happens to be anyone here who works in higher education I'd love to hear any advice you have!

Thank you

x

blueshoes Sat 26-Dec-15 15:58:42

To add to all the other posters, one tip I have for ensuring things go well on the day is to get your intro down pat. Go over it again and again. Once it goes smoothly, you will relax into the presentation and can wing it a little more (which makes the rest of the presentation sound more natural and flowing).

BeBe32 Sun 27-Dec-15 08:32:29

Thank you, that's really good advice about the intro. At the moment I am struggling to even think how to start! I suppose I just don't feel confident about the subject. The interview has 3 parts aside from the presentation - the formal interview, the informal part and a written task. I can't really prepare for the task as I have no idea what it could be but I need to try and prepare for the interview. I don't really know what I'll be asked but I will try and go through some possible questions and answers. At the moment the presentation is worrying me the most and I'm not getting too far with it, I'd feel much better if I could make a bit more progress!

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone,

xx

BeBe32 Mon 11-Jan-16 21:30:34

So...I got the job!!! I rally thought I hadn't got it, I was so so shocked when they called me today. It hasn't sunk in yet.

Thank you to you all for all your help,

xxx

blueshoes Mon 11-Jan-16 22:24:00

Congratulations and well done! Really happy for you smile

EBearhug Mon 11-Jan-16 23:27:04

Congratulations!

BeBe32 Tue 12-Jan-16 18:06:58

Thank you! I still can't quite believe it...getting nervous now!

x

Beansprout30 Tue 12-Jan-16 22:30:18

Awesome well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now