Talk

Advanced search

Work-related maternity question

(4 Posts)
sophied1983 Sun 20-Dec-15 07:55:28

I am looking at the possibility of starting a new job in the New Year, so we might have to put TTC on hold for a while.

Say you were entitled to full maternity package after a year of service, does that mean you have to be there a year by the time you go on maternity leave? Or a year before you tell them you're pregnant?

Couldn't afford it on just Statutory, so would need to put it on hold and make sure I don't get pregnant before the full support kicks in!

LIZS Sun 20-Dec-15 08:09:45

You'd need to check as each policy would vary. Normally it would be a year before you took the leave. For statutory you'd need to be employed before you got pg. Sometime any enhanced pay is repayable if you don't go back for a fixed period/hours after ml. Also not all companies offer an enhanced package to all employees so is it realistic to check beforehand.

flowery Sun 20-Dec-15 13:59:19

Once you've started your new job you will be able to check their maternity policy and, if they offer enhanced maternity pay, what the terms and conditions of that are.

BeccaJA Tue 29-Dec-15 11:23:44

I think for my policy (local government) it is a year by "15 weeks before the expected date of delivery". However it could vary so like other posters say, to be sure you would have to check the specific policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now