Talk

Advanced search

Is it legal to do some self-employed work

(16 Posts)
TabithaTwitchEye Sat 19-Dec-15 19:07:48

Whilst on paid maternity leave from main job?

Artandco Sat 19-Dec-15 19:10:05

No. Otherwise it's assumed you could just go back to your regular work.

Sparklycat Sat 19-Dec-15 19:13:59

I think so?

DoodleCat Sat 19-Dec-15 19:23:44

Yes. If you are freelance/self-employed you can.

TabithaTwitchEye Sat 19-Dec-15 19:30:14

My main job is in the NHS, but I also see some patients privately (completely separate to my Nhs work). I was thinking about still seeing s couple of clients whilst on maternity from my Nhs job. So, a couple of ours a week, nothing more.

Coconutmummy Sat 19-Dec-15 19:31:35

Yes, it's legal.

Coconutmummy Sat 19-Dec-15 19:33:12

Sorry posted too quick. It's legal because it's a seperate role.?

daisychain01 Tue 22-Dec-15 06:15:46

In my place of work it is in my Ts and Cs that I must declare to my employer if I take on other work. So it's less to do with whether it's legal and more about complying with employment contract. If the NHS has a similar clause then you will need to let your manager or HR dept know.

If you take on other work, how are you declaring the income to the tax office? If you are taking cash or other form of payment and not declaring it, that's definitely not legal smile

NickNacks Tue 22-Dec-15 06:27:33

Are you claiming MA for this self employment?

SaltySeaBird Tue 22-Dec-15 06:48:32

Yes if you are on SMP or an employer maternity package you can I think, just not if you are claiming MA.

Unless it's against your employers T&Cs.

TabithaTwitchEye Tue 22-Dec-15 14:54:05

My private work is of course declared to the NHS (it's extremely common practice to take on private patients), and does not contravene my contract in any way. Tax is declared through self-assessment.

NickNacks Tue 22-Dec-15 21:33:44

But are you claiming MA for the self employment?

feels you are deliberately avoiding this question

FanjoBean Tue 22-Dec-15 21:35:21

I would have thought so, it's not like being on the sick

TabithaTwitchEye Wed 23-Dec-15 07:05:36

Sorry, I'm not intentionally avoiding! No, it hadn't occurred to me that even could claim MA for the private work. It wouldn't be worth it really, I only do a maximum of three hours a week at the moment; I'd want to continue during mat Leave to keep it ticking over.

BeaufortBelle Wed 23-Dec-15 07:12:37

I think I looked into this once fir an employee. If you do paid work during maternity (apart from a kit day) your maternity leave is considered to be at an end. The NHS might not mind but they will be claiming back your smp from the government and eventually HMRC will catch up with you and your employer and will want the stat mat back. So no, I wouldn't.

PatriciaHolm Wed 23-Dec-15 19:02:24

This;
www.gov.uk/government/publications/maternity-benefits-technical-guidance/maternity-benefits-technical-guidance#statutory-maternity-pay-smp

States explicitly that

"If you do any work in a self-employed capacity during your MPP, then such work will not affect your SMP."

So it's fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now