Talk

Advanced search

statutory maternity pay and benefits help

(2 Posts)
octobersunshine Sat 12-Dec-15 12:51:35

I'm 4 months pregnant, single and living in London. I have a good job in politics that I love, but recently my employer, a Member of Parliament, has been attempting to dismiss me. I believe the behaviour of the MP to be contravening the Equality Act and disability discrimination laws, but given how well protected politicians are, it would be incredibly difficult for me to pursue these claims.

I have been offered a new job on a fixed term basis which would finish right before I had intended to take maternity leave. I am mindful to take it as I feel my position with my current employer is untenable given her treatment. However, I would lose my maternity pay if I change jobs, which would be a month full pay and SMP thereafter, so better than nothing but not hugely generous.

I would like to take the job I've been offered despite not having any maternity benefits simply to remove the stress and anxiety I have at the moment with a view to applying for jobs once my baby is 3 months old and can go to a childminder. I had planned to go back to work after 3 months anyway had I stayed in my current post.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of being on benefits with a baby, how you survive financially, etc, especially in London. I assume that I wouldn't be able to get any benefits until my job finishes but I know nothing of how this works as I've never thought of claiming before.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

dementedpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 15:52:25

You should get maternity allowance if you don't qualify for SMP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now